April 19, 2011: ACM Honors Computing Innovators for Advances in Research, Commerce, Education
Today's Topic: ACM Honors Computing Innovators for
Advances in Research, Commerce, Education
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
ACM has announced the winners of five prestigious awards for their innovations in computing technology that have led to practical solutions for challenges facing commerce, education, and society. The awards reflect achievements that resulted in expanded geometric applications in computer graphics, personalized recommendations from information filtering, improved face and motion detection, adaptable cryptography methods, and broadened student participation in computer science education.
The recipients are:
- Kurt Mehlhorn - Paris Kanellakis theory and Practice Award
- GroupLens Collaborative Filtering Recommender Systems - Software System Award
- Takeo Kanade - ACM/AAAI Allen Newell Award
- Craig Gentry - Grace Murray Hopper Award
- Barbara Erickson and Mark Guzdial - Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award
View the complete list of recipients.Read the ACM News Release.