April 9, 2013: ACM Honors Computing Innovators for Breakthroughs in Network Efficiency, Data Mining, Education, Game Theory, Programming, and Community Problem-Solving
Tuesday, April 9, 2013
ACM has announced the winners of six prestigious awards for their innovations in computing technology. These innovators have made significant contributions that enable computer science to solve real-world challenges. The awards reflect achievements in computer networks, information retrieval, computer science education, multi-agent systems, versatile compiler technologies, and computer-human interactive technologies. The 2012 ACM award winners, from internationally known research and academic institutions, include prominent computer scientists, educators, and entrepreneurs:
- Grace Murray Hopper Award: Martin Casado (VMWare, Stanford University) and Dina Katabi (MIT)
- Paris Kanellakis Theory and Practice Award: Andrei Broder (Google), Moses Charikar (Princeton University), and Piotr Indyk (MIT)
- Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award: Eric Roberts (Stanford University)
- ACM/AAAI Allen Newell Award: Yoav Shoham (Stanford University) and Moshe Tennenholtz (Technion-Israel Institute of Technology and Microsoft Research Israel)
- Software System Award: LLVM, a language-independent collection of programming technologies that enables code analysis and transformation for arbitrary programming languages. A collection of compiler technologies that turn programming languages into machine code used by processors, LLVM is widely used in commercial products as well as computer science research. Started in 2000 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign by Chris Lattner and Vikram Adve. Evan Cheng (Apple) drove the design and implementation of the code generator.
- Eugene L. Lawler Award for Humanitarian Contributions within Computer Science and Informatics: Thomas Bartoschek (University of Münster) and Johannes Schöning (Hasselt University)
ACM will present these and other awards at the ACM Awards Banquet on June 15 in San Francisco, CA.