Section 5.1.1 Operations/Local Arrangements Chair
Conference Manual Section No. 5.1.1 ACM CONFERENCE COMMITTEE JOB DESCRIPTION
Section No. 5.1.1
ACM CONFERENCE COMMITTEE JOB DESCRIPTION
Position: OPERATIONS/LOCAL ARRANGEMENTS CHAIR
Principle Contact: Conference Chair
Duration of Appointment: 16-20 months
Purpose: To oversee and coordinate the various activities of the Local Arrangements Committee and to report activities to Conference Chair, and to serve as a focal point for communication between the hotel/convention facility staff and the various Conference Committee members.
- Recruit and appoint committee members. Each member will be in charge of one of the following:
- Social Events/Catering
- Review with each member the timeline and budgets for which he or she has responsibility.
- Make site inspection of hotel to determine space use and sign constraints at hotel. Advise Committee Chairs of space assignments, particularly the Program Chair.
- Locate Supplies for equipment, A/V, signs social events, etc., and prepare RFP for services.
- Determine signage needs and develop and prepare signs for conference areas: exhibits, program, registration, directional, etc.
- Determine Audio-visual needs and arrange for audio-visual equipment and on-site monitoring of A/V.
- Prepare local arrangements information for advance and final programs in accordance with schedule established by the Promo Chair.
- Determine room set-up needs for all conference events from the Committee Chairs and prepare specifications for communication to hotel. Arrange for on-site monitoring of set-ups. Provide information on room assignments for the first program.
- Arrange for social events- luncheons, receptions, special events, etc.
- Appoint liaison to VIPs and foreign visitors. Arrange airport pick-up and welcoming of VIPs.
- Review the Hotel bill at the end of the conference.
- Send appropriate thank you's to hotel/facilities staff.
- Local Arrangements Chair should reside in proximity of, or should visit conference site 3-4 times before the conference, in order to work with local suppliers and provide local arrangements information to committee as necessary.
- The Chair should also have support of the employer since the demands of this position can take a considerable amount of time and support in the way of clerical needs, telephone expenses, correspondence, etc.