|Welcome to the ACM Learning Center Bulletin
Welcome to the June 2017 ACM Learning Center Bulletin, keeping you current on the many online learning tools ACM offers to help extend our members' skills and knowledge. To suggest addition of books, courses, future Webinar speakers and topics, or just offer feedback, leave a note in the Learning Center Suggestion Box
|IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Register Now: "Monadic Programming for the Web Using React and RxJS," with Pat Sissons on July 12
Register now for the next ACM Learning Webinar, "Monadic Programming for the Web Using React and RxJS," presented live on Wednesday, July 12 at 12 PM ET by Pat Sissons, Senior Software Developer at Marine Learning Systems. Erik Meijer, Founder and CEO at Applied Duality and member of the ACM Queue Editorial Board, will lead the questions and answers session following the talk. Leave your questions for the Q&A and comments now, during, and after the talk on ACM's Discourse Page. You can view our entire archive of past ACM Learning Webinars on demand at http://webinar.acm.org/.
Available on Demand: "Using Machine Learning to Study Neural Representations of Language Meaning," with Tom Mitchell
If you missed it live, check out "Using Machine Learning to Study Neural Representations of Language Meaning," presented by Tom Mitchell, Professor at Carnegie Mellon University. Will Tracz, Lockheed Martin Fellow Emeritus and Former Chair of ACM SIGSOFT, led the questions and answers session following the talk. Continue the discussion on ACM's Discourse Page. You can view our entire archive of past ACM Learning Webinars on demand at http://webinar.acm.org/.
Available on Demand: "Application Management with Kubernetes," with Kelsey Hightower
If you missed it live, check out "Application Management with Kubernetes," presented by Kelsey Hightower, Staff Developer Advocate, Google Cloud Platform, Google. Eve Andersson, Senior Manager for Accessibility Engineering at Google and Chair of the ACM Professional Development Committee, moderated the questions and answers session following the talk. Continue the discussion on ACM's Discourse Page. You can view our entire archive of past ACM Learning Webinars on demand at http://webinar.acm.org/.
Available on Demand: "Preventing Information Leaks with Policy-Agnostic Programming," with Jean Yang
If you missed it live, check out "Preventing Information Leaks with Policy-Agnostic Programming," presented by Jean Yang, Assistant Professor at Carnegie Mellon University. James Mickens, Associate Professor at Harvard University, moderated the question and answer session. Continue the discussion on ACM's Discourse Page. You can view our entire archive of past ACM Learning Webinars on demand at http://webinar.acm.org/.
|Learning Center: Books, Courses, Videos
Featured Skillsoft Course: SQL Server 2016 Database Objects
This month's featured Skillsoft course is SQL Server 2016 Database Objects. In order to properly design and implement a relational database schema, it is important to have an understanding of the fundamentals of SQL Server 2016. This course covers creating and altering tables, designing normalization, as well as the various data types available in SQL Server 2016.
To access this and more than 1,300 Skillsoft Learning Collections courses, visit the ACM Learning Center, click on the Skillsoft Learning in the top right corner, log in with your member credentials, and click on Skillsoft Learning again. To jump directly to particular subject areas, visit the Skillsoft Learning Collections page. For more on the features in Skillport 8, see our Skillsoft FAQ/Support page.
New Skillsoft Books: June 2017
New books covering the latest IT skills and technologies are always being added to the ACM Skillsoft Learning Collections. Here are some of the notable titles recently added to our library:
- Automated Trading with R: Quantitative Research and Platform Development
- Beginning CareKit Development: Develop CareKit Applications Using Swift
- Beginning Data Science in R: Data Analysis, Visualization, and Modelling for the Data Scientist
- Beginning Ethical Hacking with Python
- Beginning KeystoneJS: A Practical Introduction to KeystoneJS Using a Real-World Project
- Beginning Laravel: A Beginner's Guide to Application Development with Laravel 5.3
- Beginning Oracle WebCenter Portal 12c: Build next-generation enterprise portals with Oracle WebCenter Portal
- Beginning Power BI: A Practical Guide to Self-Service Data Analytics with Excel 2016 and Power BI Desktop, Second Edition
- Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional, Third Edition
- Beginning Robotics Programming in Java with LEGO Mindstorms
- Beginning WSO2 ESB
- Bottlenecks: Aligning UX Design with User Psychology
- Build iOS Database Apps with Swift and SQLite
- Building a Comprehensive IT Security Program: Practical Guidelines and Best Practices
- C# and XML Primer
- CCNA Routing and Switching Practice Tests
- Code Generation with Roslyn
- Custom Raspberry Pi Interfaces: Design and Build Hardware Interfaces for the Raspberry Pi
- Cybersecurity Lexicon
- Data Science: Create Teams That Ask the Right Questions and Deliver Real Value
- Designing User Interfaces for an Aging Population
- Developing a D3.js Edge: Constructing Reusable D3 Components and Charts
- Developing a Gulp Edge: The Streaming Build System, 2nd Edition
- Docker in Production: Lessons from the Trenches
- Fog for 5G and IoT
- From Hacking to Report Writing: An Introduction to Security and Penetration Testing
- GameMaker: Studio 100 Programming Challenges
- Interactive Object Oriented Programming in Java: Learn and Test Your Skills
- iOS Penetration Testing: A Definitive Guide to iOS Security
- IT Disaster Response: Lessons Learned in the Field
- Learning Web-based Virtual Reality: Build and Deploy Web-based Virtual Reality Technology
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3: The Mayan Adventure, Second Edition
- Microsoft SharePoint 2010: QuickSteps
- NTP Security: A Quick-Start Guide
- Objective-C for Absolute Beginners: iPhone, iPad and Mac Programming Made Easy, Third Edition
- OCA/OCP Java SE 8 Programmer: Practice Tests
- Oracle Database 12c Release 2 Multitenant
- Oracle Database 12c Release 2 Performance Tuning Tips and Techniques
- Penetration Testing Basics: A Quick-Start Guide to Breaking into Systems
- Personal Cybersecurity: How to Avoid and Recover from Cybercrime
- Planning and Control Using Oracle Primavera P6 Versions 8, 15 and 16 EPPM Web
- Practical Information Security Management: A Complete Guide to Planning and Implementation
- PrestaShop Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach
- Pro Linux System Administration: Learn to Build Systems for Your Business Using Free and Open Source Software, Second Edition
- Pro MERN Stack: Full Stack Web App Development with Mongo, Express, React, and Node
- Pro RESTful APIs: Design, Build and Integrate with REST, JSON, XML and JAX-RS
- Professional Sitecore 8 Development: A Complete Guide to Solutions and Best Practices
- Project Management: A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling, and Controlling, Twelfth Edition
- Python Unit Test Automation: Practical Techniques for Python Developers and Testers
- Ruby Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach
- Statistical Analysis with R For Dummies
- Telecom Data Monetization via Big Data Analytics
- Test Driven Development in Ruby: A Practical Introduction to TDD Using Problem and Solution Domain Analysis
- The Illustrated Network: How TCP/IP Works in a Modern Network, Second Edition
- The Second Economy: The Race for Trust, Treasure and Time in the Cybersecurity War
- Translating Statistics to Make Decisions: A Guide for the Non-Statistician
- Usability Testing for Survey Research
To access this and more than 3,000 Skillsoft Learning Collections eBooks, visit the ACM Learning Center, log in with your member credentials, and click on Skillsoft Learning in the top right corner. To jump directly to particular subject areas, visit the Skillsoft Learning Collections page.
New Skillsoft Short Videos: June 2017
Did you know that ACM members have access to thousands of IT and productivity videos from Skillsoft? Covering a variety of today's hottest topics, these videos offer "on-the-job" support and "just-in-time" solutions for busy practitioners. Recently, Skillsoft added significant video content in the following knowledge areas:
- Azure Architect
- Data Science Essentials
- Enabling Office 365 Services
- Engineering DevOps on AWS
- Fundamentals of DevOps
- IBM BigInsights Fundamentals
- IBM WebSphere Commerce
- Implementing Microsoft Azure Solutions
- Java EE 7 Web Development
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016
- PowerShell Essentials
- SQL Server 2014
- TIBCO Spotfire
- Visual Studio 2017
- VMware vSphere 6.5
See learning.acm.org/books/skillsoft_video.cfm for more information on short videos.
Featured Safari Title: Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. Now, even programmers who know close to nothing about this technology can use simple, efficient tools to implement programs capable of learning from data. Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow shows you how. Using concrete examples, minimal theory, and two production-ready Python frameworks—scikit-learn and TensorFlow—author Aurélien Géron helps you gain an intuitive understanding of the concepts and tools for building intelligent systems. You’ll learn a range of techniques, starting with simple linear regression and progressing to deep neural networks.
To access this and more than 40,000 award-winning, best-selling technical books, full-length video courses, and O'Reilly Conference videos, visit the ACM Learning Center and click on the Safari Learning Platform in the right hand corner. Please visit our Safari FAQ to learn more about the new Safari platform.
Featured MK Title: Cyber Warfare
Cyber Warfare explores the battlefields, participants, tools and techniques used during today's digital conflicts. The concepts discussed in this book will give those involved in information security, at all levels, a better idea of how cyber conflicts are carried out now, how they will change in the future and how to detect and defend against espionage, hacktivism, insider threats and non-state actors like organized criminals and terrorists.
This is just one of nearly 500 titles from publishers Morgan Kaufmann (MK) and Syngress in ACM's eBook collection, covering the most bleeding-edge topics in computing, such as Big Data, Cybersecurity, Human-Computer Interaction, Parallel Computing, and more. The books are available in PDF (and some in ePub) and are downloadable to your desktop, laptop, tablet, and any popular eBook reader on your mobile device. All members (Student and Professional) can access them through the ACM Learning Center eBook catalog as well as the ACM Digital Library.
ACM Interview: Elim Kay
Tune in as the leaders, innovators, and entrepreneurs advancing computing as a science and a profession discuss their background, experience, and career highlights, all while providing invaluable insights and lessons learned for future computing professionals in this ongoing series of exclusive interviews conducted by Stephen Ibaraki, Co-Chair of the ACM Practitioners Board.
In a recent ACM Podcast Stephen Ibaraki interviewed Elim Kay. Renowned Investor, Innovator, Entrepreneur, CEO Kay Family Foundation
Elim Kay is the CEO of Kay Family Foundation, Managing Director and CEO of a privately-held group of operating and holding companies, and Founding Partner for REDDS Venture Investment Partners. Elim Kay has been involved with technology ventures since 2002. Through a private partnership, he acquired the then-small online community, ClubLexus.com in 2002 and served as Managing Director until its acquisition by Internet Brands, Inc. in 2007. He has been actively involved with various companies through operational and advisory capacities. Elim serves on the Board of Governors of Chapman University and Board of Counselors of Chapman University's Argyros School of Business and Economics. He is also an Advisor to the ACM Practitioners Board Marketing Committee.
Volunteer Your Computing Skills for a Social Good with ACM and SocialCoder
You can use your technical skills for social good and offer volunteer support on software development projects to organizations who could not otherwise afford it. SocialCoder connects volunteer programmers/software developers with registered charities and helps match them to suitable projects based on their skills, experience, and the causes they care about. Learn more about ACM's new partnership with SocialCoder, and how you can get involved.
You are subscribed with: &EMAIL;
Connect with us: