How to Start a Special Interest Group (SIG)
Process for Starting a SIG
Prior to submitting a formal proposal to the SIG Governing Board Executive Committee (SGB EC) it is mandatory that proposers provide some preliminary information on the potential SIG.
After SGB EC reviews the information, it will determine what the next steps are for the development process.
In some cases, a formal proposal will be requested and in others, proposers may be asked to work within an existing SIG for a period of time to determine the level of interest for the new specialty.
Preliminary Information Instructions
To get started, the following preliminary information / outline of the anticipated activities envisioned for the group should be sent to Donna Cappo.
The SGB EC will find it most helpful if your outline includes:
- Primary focus of this special interest group with as much detail as possible
- Primary audience/primary need to be served
- Initial activity to be undertaken by the group (publication, conferences, workshop, etc.)
- Overlap issues with other ACM SIGS
- Listing of the core group of volunteer leaders that would lead the SIG
Please feel free to contact Donna Cappo if you have any questions.