SIGPLAN - Special Interest Group on Programming LanguagesJOIN
The ACM Special Interest Group on Programming Languages explores programming language concepts and tools, focusing on design, implementation, practice, and theory. Its members are programming language developers, educators, implementers, researchers, theoreticians, and users. SIGPLAN sponsors several major annual conferences, including the Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL), the Symposium on Principles and Practice of Parallel Programming (PPoPP), the Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation (PLDI), the International Conference on Functional Programming (ICFP), the International Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA), as well as more than a dozen other events of either smaller size or in-cooperation with other SIGs. The monthly "ACM SIGPLAN Notices" publishes proceedings of selected sponsored events and an annual report on SIGPLAN activities. Members receive discounts on conference registrations and free access to ACM SIGPLAN publications in the ACM Digital Library. SIGPLAN recognizes significant research and service contributions of individuals with a variety of awards, supports current members through the Professional Activities Committee, and encourages future programming language enthusiasts with frequent Programming Languages Mentoring Workshops (PLMW).
SIGPLAN benefits for FY 2018:
Member Benefits Provided to SIGPLAN Members:
- Reduced registration rates at SIGPLAN-sponsored and co-sponsored events.
- Access to SIGPLAN materials in the ACM Digital Library.
- Electronic subscription to SIGPLAN Notices, the newsletter of SIGPLAN, with no fewer than 10 issues per year that include conference or workshop proceedings (Also print subscription to print members).
- Email newsletter of important events to SIGPLAN community.
- Financial support for students to attend SIGPLAN Conferences (through the Professional Activities Committee, or PAC).
- Financial support for travel companions for members needing assistance to attend SIGPLAN conferences, in particular, members with small children or disabilities (PAC).
- Financial support for transportation and on-site child care for members participating in SIGPLAN-sponsored events who have children (PAC).
- Financial support for long-distance travel to attend SIGPLAN Conferences (PAC).
- Voting rights in SIGPLAN elections.
- Opportunity to serve as a SIGPLAN Officer.
- Member Plus packages: POPL, PLDI, ICFP, OOPSLA
Community Benefits Provided by SIGPLAN:
- Conference sponsorship: PLDI, POPL, OOPSLA, ICFP, LCTES, ASPLOS (co-sponsored with SIGARCH), ISMM, VEE, PPoPP, HOPL, Haskell Symposium, GPCE, Onward!, DLS, SLE, along with many workshops.
- SIGPLAN web pages.
- Conference proceedings available for free on conference sites through ACM’s OpenTOC.
- Support for programming language events, such as the Oregon Summer School in Programming Languages and the Programming Languages Mentoring Workshops (PLMW), and related events, such as CRA-W’s Grad Cohort.
- Support for educators to attend SIGPLAN conferences.
- Latex and Microsoft Word templates for technical papers.
- Awards: Programming Languages Achievement Award, Distinguished Service Award, Programming Languages Software Award, Robin Milner Young Researcher Award, John C Reynolds Award, Doctoral Dissertation Award, Most Influential Paper Awards for ICFP, OOPSLA, Onward! PLDI, and POPL.
- SIGPLAN papers identified as Research Highlights, collected on the web and nominated for CACM Research Highlights.
- Opportunities to serve as a volunteer in various capacities in support of SIGPLAN activities.