Chapter Member Newsletter
ACM Chapter Member News | March 2016
Welcome to the March 2016 edition of ACM Chapter Member News
Chapters are the "local neighborhoods" of ACM. Our Professional and Student chapters worldwide serve as nodes of activity for ACM members and the computing community at large, offering seminars, lectures, and the opportunity to meet peers and experts in many fields of interest. With over 850 active chapters worldwide, we would like to take the time now to connect with all of you, and bring you a few of the ACM Highlights.
HEADLINES AT A GLANCE:
We are happy to inform you that ACM has created a document called Chapter-in-a-Box which contains the resources required for organizing and maintaining an ACM chapter. This compilation of materials and practices includes advice about recruiting members, ideas for activities, how-tos for running meetings and conferences, and much more. With the information consolidated in one place our hope is that officers will be able to learn more about running a chapter, have questions answered easily, and be motivated to think creatively as leaders.
Chapter-in-a-Box is available for use on the ACM website at: http://www.acm.org/chapters/chapter-in-a-box. We hope this resource proves to be valuable to you and your chapter.
ACM UPE Student Chapter Scholarship Award Winners
In the search for excellence and professional commitment to the computing and information technology fields, The Executive Council of Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE), the Honor Society for the computing & Information disciplines, and the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) have announced the ACM UPE Student Chapter Scholarship Award winners. The winners are:
Kristen Erich from Clemson University
Fabio Eliseo Fiori from Indiana University – Purdue University Fort Wayne
Claudia Schulz from Imperial College London
Preethi Srinivas from Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis
Each will receive $1,000 and a certificate of commendation. Thank you to everyone who participated. Congratulations to all four winners!
ACM India Student Chapter Award
ACM would like to congratulate the winners of the ACM India Student Chapter Award. The winner was BITS Pilani-Rajasthan ACM Student Chapter and the runner up was the Amity ACM Student Chapter.
The contestants were judged on their chapter’s activities during 2015 specifically on:
- Community Activities
- Community Service
- Recruitment Program
- Participation in ACM India Activities
- Membership Numbers (ACM Membership)
Congratulations to both chapters! Keep up the great work!
Hour of Code
The Hour of Code is a global movement designed to generate excitement in young people about programming and technology. Games, tutorials, and other events were organized during Computer Science Education Week around the world. ACM would like to thank the following chapters who participated this year:
- University of North Alabama
- Bharati Vidyapeeth's College of Engineering ACM Student Chapter
- Butler University
- BMCC-Programming ACM Student Chapter
- Southern New Mexico ACM Student Chapter
- Eastern Mediterranean University ACM Student Chapter
- Tecnológico de El Mante ACM Student Chapter
- Lebanese American University-Byblos ACM Student Chapter
- American University in Bulgaria ACM Student Chapter
- Imperial College London ACM Student Chapter
- Westminster College ACM Student Chapter
- EBONYI State University ACM Student Chapter
- Touro College
- Fahad Bin Sultan University ACM Student Chapter
- University of Moratuwa ACM Student Chapter
- Qassim University ACM-W Student Chapter
- King Abdullah University ACM Student Chapter
- Instituto Tecnológico de Puebla ACM Student Chapter
- Monmouth College ACM Student Chapter
- FI-UAC ACM Student Chapter
- UCSP ACM Student Chapter
- Bharati Vidyapeeth's College of Engineering ACM Student Chapter
- Sri Aurobindo Institute of Technology ACM Student Chapter
- PUCIT-ACM Student Chapter
- Holy Family University ACM Student Chapter
- UPES ACM Student Chapter
If your chapter would like to be featured in the chapter spotlight please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of your recent event.
- ABES ACM-W Student Chapter - Ghaziabad, India (Student)
- Alyamamah University ACM Student Chapter - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Student)
- Auburn University at Montgomery ACM Student Chapter - Montgomery, AL (Student)
- AUCA ACM Student Chapter - Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (Student)
- Bharati Vidyapeeth's College of Engineering ACM-W Student Chapter - New Delhi, India (Student)
- Brigham Young University ACM-W Student Chapter - Provo, UT (Student)
- Chennai ACM-W Chapter - Chennai, India (Professional)
- Concordia University Wisconsin ACM-W Student Chapter - Mequon, WI (Student)
- Davenport University ACM Student Chapter - Grand Rapids, MI (Student)
- De Anza College ACM Student Chapter - Cupertino, CA (Student)
- De Anza College ACM-W Student Chapter - Cupertino, CA (Student)
- Earlham College ACM-W Student Chapter - Richmond, IN (Student)
- El Camino College ACM Student Chapter - Torrance, CA (Student)
- Fairleigh Dickinson University ACM Student Chapter - Teaneck, NJ (Student)
- Florida State University ACM SIGGRAPH Student Chapter - Tallahassee, FL (Student)
- Hampton University ACM Student Chapter - Hampton, VA (Student)
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania ACM Student Chapter - Indiana, PA (Student)
- Muscat College ACM Student Chapter - Muscat, Oman (Student)
- MVGR College of Engineering ACM Student Chapter - Vizianagaram, India (Student)
- National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal ACM Student Chapter - Mangalore, India (Student)
- NYIT ACM Student Chapter - New York, NY (Student)
- RHU ACM Student Chapter - Mechref, Lebanon (Student)
- Shanghai IOT ACM Chapter - Shanghai, China (Professional)
- SNS College of Engineering ACM Student Chapter - Coimbatore, India (Student)
- Sree Buddha College of Engineering ACM-W Student Chapter - Alappuzha, India (Student)
- Texas A&M University Kingsville ACM Student Chapter - Kingsville, TX (Student)
- University of Lahore ACM Student Chapter - Lahore, Pakistan (Student)
- University of Nebraska-Omaha ACM Student Chapter - Omaha, NE (Student)
- University of New Orleans ACM-W Student Chapter - New Orleans, LA (Student)
- University of Utah ACM-W Student Chapter - Salt Lake City, UT (Student)
- Wroclaw ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter - Wroclaw, Poland (Professional)
Not an ACM Member yet? Whether you are a student or a professional, ACM has great benefits to offer you. Read all about ACM's many benefits and membership options.
Chapter and Chapter Member Benefits
Be sure to take advantage of the benefits ACM Chapters and ACM Chapter Members receive.
ACM's prestigious conferences and journals are seeking top-quality papers in all areas of computing and IT. It is now easier than ever to find the most appropriate venue for your research and publish with ACM.
ACM is a volunteer-led and member-driven organization. Everything ACM accomplishes is through the efforts of people like you. A wide range of activities keep ACM moving, including organizing conferences, editing journals, reviewing papers and participating on boards and committees, to name just a few. Find out all the ways that you can volunteer with ACM.
You can use your technical skills for social good and offer volunteer support on software development projects to organizations who could not otherwise afford it. SocialCoder connects volunteer programmers/software developers with registered charities and helps match them to suitable projects based on their skills, experience, and the causes they care about. Learn more about ACM’s new partnership with SocialCoder, and how you can get involved.