Section 3.2.1 - Treasurer
Conference Manual Section No. 3.2.1 Treasurer
Section No. 3.2.1
Primary Contact: Conference Chair
Duration of Appointment: 18-22 Months
Purpose: To oversee the Accounting, tracking, cash management and reporting for conference finances. And to interact with ACM Headquarters regarding policy and procedures associated with conference financial management.
- Oversee the set-up of conference accounting procedures This includes;
- Opening bank account(s)
- setting up chart of accounts to correspond with active budget
- designing procedure to submit, approve and pay expenses
- receive and track income
- Hire bookkeeper to perform all of the above and maintain all conference books. It is strongly recommended that a bookkeeper be hired for conferences with a budget of $250,000 or more.
- Authorize (with Conference Chair) all conference expenditures.
- Create forms necessary for accounting procedures; i.e., travel requests, expense forms, Check requests, purchase orders, etc.
- Oversee production of monthly financial reports including;
- list of checks issued
- actual expenses against budget
- transactions by account
- transactions by payee, etc.
- Oversee balancing of monthly bank statements.
- Set-up and oversee on-site cash management operations. This may include arranging for security for cash pick-up.
- Be available for conference audit if required and coordinate availability of all conference records.
- Prepare final financial report to ACM Headquarters, and SIG Staff Liaison.
- Oversee closing of conference books and return of records and surplus funds to ACM Headquarters within the 120-day limit.
ACM/SIG Conference Closing Procedures
To ensure the appropriate closing of a conference' s books, the conference treasurer and/or chair must comply with sending all of the following to ACM Headquarters promptly at the end of the 120 day grace period.
- Submit the final financial report for the conference.
- Return all surplus funds of the conference to ACM.
- Send the final bank statement after closing the conference bank account(s).
- Return all financial books and records, such as:
- Remaining unused check books;
- Payment vouchers, travel reimbursements, etc.;
- Registration applications, deposits slips, credit card batch control and merchant payment reports;
- Contracts, insurance certificates and any other materials relating to the conference's operations.
- Strong knowledge of standard accounting principles and procedures.
- Financial Management expertise.
- Supervisory experience.
- Position requires the support of the employer as the time demands can be heavy.
Date Revised: Oct. 1997 by Rachael Barish email@example.com