Section 4.1.2 Local Publicity/Press Relations Chair
Conference Manual Section No. 4.1.2 ACM Conference Committee Job Description
Section No. 4.1.2
ACM Conference Committee Job Description
Position: Local Publicity/Press Relations Chair
Principle Contact: Promotions Chair
Duration of Appointment: 12 - 14 months
Purpose: Appointed by the Promotions Chair for coordination of local promotion for the conference and to serve as a focal point for communication with the press.
- Direct correspondence and promotions to local newspapers, radio, television and related industry trade journals, chapters, local SIGs, sister societies active in region, etc.
- Make arrangements for press attendance at the conference
- If appropriate set up a press area on-site and arrange for press badges.
- If appropriate contract a professional photographer to cover the conference.
- Work with Promotions Chair to prepare posters or one page promotional material for local universities, libraries and other sites carrying local interest boards.
- Seek suggestions and ideas from Conference Committee for promoting the conference locally and discussing progress.
- Submit conference summary of highlights to ACM and to SIG Newsletter editors.
- Support should be available for modest clerical needs, telephone expenses, occasional correspondence, etc.. ACM and its subunits rely on this "In-kind" support in order to keep conference fees in line with sister society fees.
- Knowledge of local area resources and technical activities.
- Previous experience and/or knowledge with press contacts and publicity.