Computing and statistics underpin the rapid emergence of data science as a pivotal academic discipline.
ACM, the Association for Computing Machinery, and IMS, the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, the two key academic organizations in these areas, have launched a new joint venture to propel data science and to engage and energize our communities to work together.
ACM and IMS will hold an all-day launch event on June 15, 2019 at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco, California. This event will bring together distinguished speakers and panelists addressing topics such as deep learning, reinforcement learning, fairness, and ethics, in addition to discussions about the future of data science and the role of ACM and IMS.
9:00-9:05 AM – Introduction
- Jeannette Wing, Columbia University
9:05-9:40 AM – Keynote Talk
- Emmanuel Candès, Stanford University
9:40-10:20 AM – Panel: Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, and Role of Methods in Data Science
- Shirley Ho, Flatiron Institute
- Sham Kakade, University of Washington
- Suchi Saria, Johns Hopkins University
- Manuela Veloso, J. P. Morgan AI Research, Carnegie Mellon University
10:20-10:35 AM – Break
10:35-11:15 AM – Panel: Robustness and Stability in Data Science
- Aleksander Madry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Xiao-Li Meng, Harvard University
- Richard J. Samworth, University of Cambridge, Alan Turing Institute
- Bin Yu, University of California, Berkeley
11:15-11:55 AM – Panel: Fairness and Ethics in Data Science
- Joaquin Quiñonero Candela, Facebook
- Alexandra Chouldechova, Carnegie Mellon University
- Andrew Gelman, Columbia University
- Kristian Lum, HRDAG (Human Rights Data Analysis Group)
11:55 AM-1:00 PM – Lunch
1:00-1:35 PM – Keynote Talk: "Deep Learning for Tackling Real-World Problems"
- Jeffrey Dean, Google
1:35-2:10 PM – Keynote Talk: "Human Biology through the Lens of Data"
- Daphne Koller, insitro
2:10-2:20 PM – Break
2:20-2:55 PM – Panel: Future of Data Science
2:55-3:00 PM – Closing Remarks: David Madigan and Jeannette Wing, Columbia University
- Jeannette Wing, Columbia University, USA
- David Madigan, Columbia University, USA
- Magdalena Balazinska, University of Washington, USA
- Joseph Gonzalez, University of California Berkeley, USA
- Chris Holmes, University of Oxford, UK
- Yannis Ioannidis, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
- Ryan Tibshirani, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- Daniela Witten, University of Washington, USA