Apply Now for the 2nd ACM Europe Summer School on Data Science in Athens, 12-18 July
May 18, 2018
The 2nd ACM Europe Summer School on Data Science will take place in Athens on 12-18 July 2018. Young Computer Science researchers from all over the world will have the opportunity to attend summer courses in the topics of Data Science, Data Analysis, Machine Learning, Big Data, and Ethics of Data Science.
The summer school is addressed to young Computer Science researchers and engineers, i.e., young faculty, postdocs, PhD candidates, young engineers from industry and in some special cases MSc students or even senior undergraduate students. In terms of its format, the school will be mostly a mix of formal lectures in the morning and practical exercises in the afternoon with a final overall assessment of the students' performance at the end of the week.
Keynote lectures will be given at key points of the program by Raghu Ramakrishnan, Microsoft CTO on Data.
The School instructors are very well-known researchers in the field and will be giving day-long courses on several related themes:
- Sihem Amer-Yahia, CNRS Grenoble (Social analytics)
- Daniel Keim, Univ. Konstanz (Visual analytics)
- Natasa Milic-Frayling, Univ. Nottingham (Data science ethics)
- Chris Re, Stanford Univ. (ML for databases and databases for ML)
- Yannis Theodoridis, Univ. Piraeus (Spatiotemporal analytics)
- Chris Williams, Univ. Edinburgh (ML foundations, ML for medical data)
All courses will take place in the Royal Olympic Hotel, which is located in the center of Athens and is where all students and instructors will be staying.
All prospective students should submit their application online before 28 May (AoE). The Committee will review the applications and select the participants by 8 June.