SIGCAS - Computers and Society
The ACM Special Interest Group on Computers and Society brings together computer professionals, specialists in other fields, and the public at large to address concerns and raise awareness about the ethical and societal impact of computers. As part of its ongoing efforts to gather and report information, thus stimulating the exchange and dissemination of ideas, SIGCAS publishes an online magazine and co-sponsors national and international conferences such as the International Symposium on Technology and Society, the Computers, Freedom and Privacy Conference, the Computers and Quality of Life Symposium, and the Computer Ethics and Philosophical Enquiry Conference.
SIGCAS benefits for FY 2023
- Subscription to the online magazine “Computers and Society" which is published two or three times a year. Members have access to the full archive of the online publication and its printed predecessor in the ACM DL. Please see www.sigcas.org.
- Discounted registration fee for SIGCAS-sponsored conferences and workshops.
- SIGCAS presents two awards: The Making a Difference Award and the SIGCAS Outstanding Service award.
- SIGCAS-ANNOUNCE mailing list - includes regular announcements of upcoming conferences and calls for participation.
- SIGCAS-Talk mailing list to enable member-member interactions and the committee will seek to stimulate discussion on this list amongst members. Opt-in subscription to the list is restricted to SIGCAS members.
- Twitter account @ACMSIGCAS for news and discussion about computers and society.
- SIGCAS convenes a monthly online "Works in Progress" event with a presentation and informal discussion.
- Provides a clearing-house for ethics-related issues at ACM and in the CS/IT academia and industry, in close cooperation with ACM COPE (Committee on Professional Ethics). This particularly includes promoting computer ethics education issues.
- Sponsorship of the annual ACM COMPASS conference on Computing and Sustainable Societies.
- Sponsorship of the GoodIT conference.
- "In cooperation" sponsor of several ACM and non-ACM conferences related to SIGCAS' interests.
- Cooperates with ACM Committee on Professional Ethics (COPE) on outreach and educational materials related to the ACM Code of Ethics.
- Sponsorship of ACM involvement in the IFIP (International Federation for Information Processing) Ethics Group (jointly with ACM COPE).
- SIGCAS-sponsored events (workshops and BOFs) often take place at SIGCSE and SIGITE. This also includes pre-conference mini-symposia.