Celebrate Black History Month With ACM
February 14, 2023
Black professionals across the world have helped shape the field of computing. What were some of the critical decisions that led them where they are? What unique challenges do they have to navigate working at the intersection of computing, society, and identity? How are students, researchers, and practitioners of color impacted by the pandemic and other current events?
The one-hour panel, "Black Excellence in Real-World Computing," will be livestreamed on LinkedIn on February 22 at 11:00 am ET (4 pm UCT). ACM's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council invited five global black leaders in computing to reflect on key moments in their career journeys, examine pressing challenges they face in their respective field, and offer actionable advice for future generations.
- Fay Cobb Payton, (Moderator), Professor Emeritus at North Carolina State University
- Juan E. Gilbert, Chair of the Computer & Information Science & Engineering Department at the University of Florida
- Diana L. Burley, Vice Provost for Research at American University
- Martez Mott, Senior Researcher, Ability Group, Microsoft Research
- Happy Sithole, Director of the Centre for High Performance Computing, CSIR