ACM Chapter Member News
March 15, 2012
Chapters are the "local neighborhoods" of ACM. Our Professional and Student chapters worldwide serve as nodes of activity for ACM members and the computing community at large, offering seminars, lectures, and the opportunity to meet peers and experts in many fields of interest. With over 650 active chapters worldwide, we would like to take the time now to connect with all of you, and bring you a few of the ACM Highlights.
HEADLINES AT A GLANCE:
ACM is excited to now be offering a Chapter related webinar. This is our opportunity to provide you with the chance to learn about ACM, and all that is available to you and your chapter. We invite you to participate in this online guided tutorial as we walk through the ACM website, the chapter database/interface and more! This tutorial will be given in real time, and you will have the opportunity to interact and ask questions. Please email@example.com dates and availability, or any further questions. The session will run for no longer then one hour. We encourage all to participate, especially our newest chapters!
CHI 2012 is almost here!The ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems will be held in Austin, Texas from May 5-10, and is the premier international conference on human-computer interaction.CHI 2012 focuses on the centrality of experience- from the models, theories and practical insights we need to understand and design for user experience to experiencing innovation through hands-on interactivity. Please view the CHI 2012 website for information, important dates, and volunteer opportunities available.
Applications are now being accepted for the 2011-2012 Student Chapter Excellence Awards!
The ACM Student Chapter Excellence Awards Program recognizes chapters that display considerable initiative during the academic year. All student chapters in good standing are encouraged to apply for this award in five key areas. Winning chapters in each of these five areas receive $500 and a "best of" icon to proudly display on their chapter's Web page. These chapters are featured on the ACM Web site and in ACM MemberNet.
To be considered for one or more of these awards, ACM student chapters must submit an application in Word or Plain Text format (please, no PDFs), to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2010-2011 Competition. In the subject line please state your chapter name and the categories for which you would like your chapter to be considered. Applications must include the following information:
Chapter SpotlightThe NUCES KHI ACM Student Chapter in Karachi, Pakistan, held "Developer's Day" on March 15, 2012. This event is considered to be one one of their largest and most prestigious events annually, this year being no different! With a crowd of nearly 500 students from local and surrounding universities in attendance, the chapter proved to be quite a success. Developer's Day serves to improve communication and interaction between the students in the field of Computer Science and Technology, and the industry, and included activities such as Speed Mobile Application Development Competition, Workshops, Job Fairs, and more!http://acm.khi.nu.edu.pk/devday/2012/
- What's New?
- Did you know?
- ACM Student Contests, Competitions, and Scholarships!
- Chapter Spotlight
- Welcome to Our Newest Chapters!
- Why join ACM?
- Name and address of chapter
- Names and email addresses of chapter officers and faculty sponsor
- A brief description of your chapter and school including number of chapter members
- Number of students at your school who take computer science and related courses, and typical majors of your chapter members.
- URL for your chapter home page
- An essay of no more than 500 words for each of the categories for which your chapter would like to be considered. You may submit an essay for more than one category. Further guidelines and explanations for each category can be found on the ACM Website.
- Anurag Engineering College ACM Student Chapter- Anathagiri(V), India (Student)
- Armstrong ACM Student Chapter- Savannah, GA, USA (Student)
- Austin ACM SIGKDD Chapter- Austin, TX, USA (Professional)
- AVCOE IT ACM Student Chapter- Sanagmer, India (Student)
- Azerbaijan ACM Chapter- Baku, Azerbaijan (Professional)
- CSC @ Kuwait University ACM Student Chapter- Khaldiya, Kuwait (Student)
- DeVry Chicago ACM Student Chapter- Chicago, IL, USA (Student)
- duPont Manual High School ACM Student Chapter- Louiseville, KY, USA (Student)
- Firat University ACM Student Chapter- Elazig, Turkey (Student)
- Heritage Institute of Technology ACM Student Chapter- Kolkata, India (Student)
- Illinois Institute of Technology ACM Student Chapter- Chicago, IL, USA (Student)
- Lodz ACM Chapter- Lodz, Poland (Professional)
- PASC ACM Student Chapter- Pune, India(Student)
- Portugal ACM SIGCOMM Chapter, Lisboa- Lisboa, Portugal (Professional)
- Purdue University College of Technology ACM SIGGRAPH Student Chapter- New Albany, IN, USA (Student)
- Qafqaz University ACM Student Chapter- Baku, Azerbaijan (Student)
- Rajalakshmi Engineering College ACM Student Chapter- Chennai, India (Student)
- Romanian ACM Chapter- Bucharest, Romania (Professional)
- Salem State University ACM Student Chapter- Salem, MA, USA (Student)
- SR Engineering College ACM Student Chapter- Warangal, India (Student)
- SUNY Potsdam ACM Student Chapter- Potsdam, NY, USA(Student)
- Texas Lutheran University ACM Student Chapter- Seguin, TX, USA(Student)
- Vienna ACM SIGSAC Chapter- Vienna, Austria (Professional)
- VRS ACM Student Chapter- Vijayawada, India (Student)
- VSU ACM Student Chapter- Petersburg, VA, USA (Student)
- WFU ACM Student Chapter- Winston Salem, NC, USA (Student)
- WIT @ Texas A&M ACM Student Chapter- Killeen, TX, USA (Student)
- WSU Vancouver ACM-W Student Chapter- Vancouver, WA, USA (Student)
Written by leading domain experts for software engineers, ACM Case Studies provide an in-depth look at how software teams overcome specific challenges by implementing new technologies, adopting new practices, or a combination of both. Often through first-hand accounts, these pieces explore what the challenges were, the tools and techniques that were used to combat them, and the solution that was achieved.
ACM's prestigious conferences and journals are seeking top-quality papers in all areas of computing and IT. It is now easier than ever to find the most appropriate venue for your research and publish with ACM.