ACM Chapter Member News
March 13, 2013
Chapters are the "local neighborhoods" of ACM. Our Professional and Student chapters worldwide serve as nodes of activity for ACM members and the computing community at large, offering seminars, lectures, and the opportunity to meet peers and experts in many fields of interest. With over 750 active chapters worldwide, we would like to take the time now to connect with all of you, and bring you a few of the ACM Highlights.
HEADLINES AT A GLANCE:
- ACM Student Chapter Excellence Awards
- Learn what ACM has to offer
- Chapter Spotlight
- Welcome to Our Newest Chapters
- Why join ACM?
About the Awards The ACM Student Chapter Excellence Awards Program recognizes chapters that display considerable initiative during the academic year. All student chapters in good standing are encouraged to apply for this award in five key areas. Winning chapters in each of these five areas receive $500 and a "best of" icon to proudly display on their chapter's Web page. These chapters are featured on the ACM Web site and in ACM MemberNet.
Chapters may apply in the following categories:
- Outstanding Chapter Activities
- Outstanding Chapter Website
- Outstanding Community Service
- Outstanding Recruitment Program
- Outstanding School Service
For information and application details, please be sure to check out the full application on the ACM Student Chapter Excellence Awards Page.
Learn what ACM has to offer
Are you a new chapter or a newly elected officer? ACM is excited to offer a Chapter related webinar. This is our opportunity to provide you with the chance to learn about ACM, and all that is available to you and your chapter. With the transitioning of officers, often information gets lost or forgotten. We invite all officers, old and new, to participate in this online guided tutorial as we walk through the ACM website, the chapter database/interface and more! This tutorial will be given in real time, and you will have the opportunity to interact and ask questions. Please contact email@example.com for dates and availability, or any further questions. The session will run for no longer then one hour. See you there!
View a Presentation on Using the Chapter Administrative Interface!
ACM would like to recognize the Columbia University ACM Student Chapter for their 'Microsoft Fridays! @ Columbia' series. These weekly events give individuals the opportunity to learn how to develop for Windows 8, Phone and Games! The series of AppLabs are designed to get you building applications on the Windows 8 platform. The club will also hold their annual "Robofest" this March, an event sponsored by Microsoft where students will be offered a chance to showcase their best hacks for a chance to win prizes. To see what else this chapter is up to, be sure to check okut their chapter website. http://cuacm.com
ACM would also like to recognize the University of Cincinnati ACM Student Chapter.This year the UC chapter has created an event called: UC Invents competition (www.ucinvents.org). The purpose of the UC Invents competition is to crowd source student ideas and to come up with the most inventive and innovative way to improve our university. The chapter has already had tremendous success, with over 100 ideas already submitted during their online submission round time period. The day of competition is on April 7th, 2013 and the top 30-40% of online submissions will be invited to compete. The day of competition is composed of three rounds: Elevator Pitch Round, Closed Judges Panel, Final Audience Round +Wild Card Winner. There will be four ideas that win and each idea will win $500 each and the opportunity to implement their idea to improve campus.
To all our chapters, keep up the good work!
- AmritaSai ACM Student Chapter(AASC)- Vijayawada, India(Student)
- Boise State University ACM-W Student Chapter- Boise, ID, USA(Student)
- Brooklyn College ACM-W Student Chapter- Brooklyn, NY, USA(Student)
- California State University-Long Beach ACM SIGWEB Student Chapter- Long Beach, CA, USA(Student)
- CIR Abuja ACM Chapter- Wuse Zone 4, Abuja, Nigeria(Professional)
- El Paso Community College ACM Student Chapter- el paso, TX, USA(Student)
- Jawaharlal Nehru University ACM Student Chapter- New Delhi, India(Student)
- Jerusalem College of Engineering ACM Student Chapter- Chennai, India(Student)
- Lahore College for Women University ACM-W Student Chapter- Lahore, Pakistan(Student)
- Nagpur ACM Chapter- Nagpur, India(Professional)
- National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur ACM Student Chapter- JAMSHEDPUR, India(Student)
- NIT Warangal ACM Student Chapter- Warangal, India(Student)
- OC Technical College ACM Student Chapter- Orangeburg, SC, USA(Student)
- Old Dominion University ACM-W Student Chapter-Norfolk, VA, USA(Student)
- PRADNYAN DYPCOE-AK ACM Student Chapter- Pune, India(Student)
- Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University ACM-W Student Chapter- AlKhobar, Saudi Arabia(Student)
- Quebec City ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter- Quebec, QC, Canada(Professional)
- RGCER IT ACM Student Chapter- NAGPUR, India(Student)
- Sree Buddha College of Engg. ACM Student Chapter- Alappuzha, India(Student)
- SriGuru ACM Student Chapter- Coimbatore, India(Student)
- Surya School of Engineering and Technology ACM Student Chapter- Rajpura, India(Student)
- Talladega College ACM Student Chapter- Talladega, AL, USA(Student)
- Tel Aviv ACM SIGCHI Chapter- Tel Aviv, Israel(Professional)
- Thapar University ACM Student Chapter- Patiala, India(Student)
- The College of New Jersey ACM SIGGRAPH Student Chapter- Ewing, NJ, USA(Student)
- TOBB University of Economics and Technology ACM Student Chapter- Ankara, Turkey(Student)
- Trivandrum ACM Chapter- Trivandrum, India(Professional)
- UMass Lowell ACM Student Chapter- Lowell, MA, USA(Student)
- UNC-Chapel Hill ACM Student Chapter- Chapel Hill, NC, USA(Student)
- University of California, Irvine ACM-W Student Chapter- Irvine, CA, USA(Student)
- University of Colorado, Denver ACM Student Chapter- Denver, CO, USA(Student)
- University of Kurdistan ACM Student Chapter- Sanandaj, Iran(Student)
- University of Texas Pan American ACM-W Student Chapter- Edinburg, TX, USA(Student)
- University of Utah ACM Student Chapter- Salt Lake City, UT, USA (Student)
- UW-Whitewater ACM Student Chapter- Whitewater, WI, USA (Student)
to the top
ACM's prestigious conferences and journals are seeking top-quality papers in all areas of computing and IT. It is now easier than ever to find the most appropriate venue for your research and publish with ACM.
ACM Queue’s “Research for Practice” is your number one resource for keeping up with emerging developments in the world of theory and applying them to the challenges you face on a daily basis. In this installment, Dan Crankshaw and Joey Gonzalez provide an overview of machine learning server systems. What happens when we wish to actually deploy a machine learning model to production, and how do we serve predictions with high accuracy and high computational efficiency? Dan and Joey’s curated research selection presents cutting-edge techniques spanning database-level integration, video processing, and prediction middleware. Given the explosion of interest in machine learning and its increasing impact on seemingly every application vertical, it's possible that systems such as these will become as commonplace as relational databases are today.
You can use your technical skills for social good and offer volunteer support on software development projects to organizations who could not otherwise afford it. SocialCoder connects volunteer programmers/software developers with registered charities and helps match them to suitable projects based on their skills, experience, and the causes they care about. Learn more about ACM’s new partnership with SocialCoder, and how you can get involved.