ACM Chapter Member News
September 17, 2014
Welcome to the September 2014 edition of ACM Chapter Member News
Chapters are the "local neighborhoods" of ACM. Our Professional and Student chapters worldwide serve as nodes of activity for ACM members and the computing community at large, offering seminars, lectures, and the opportunity to meet peers and experts in many fields of interest. With over 750 active chapters worldwide, we would like to take the time now to connect with all of you, and bring you a few of the ACM Highlights.
HEADLINES AT A GLANCE:
- Welcome to Our Newest Chapters
- ACM Chapter in the Spotlight: Uppsala University ACM-W Student Chapter
- ACM Chapters to be De-Chartered
- Why join ACM?
- Bloomfield College ACM Student Chapter - Bloomfield, NJ (Student)
- Czech Republic ACM SIGAPP Chapter - Praha, Czech Republic (Professional)
- Dokuz Eylul University ACM Student Chapter - Izmir, Turkey (Student)
- Easwari ACM Student Chapter - Chennai, India (Student)
- ERU ACM-W Student Chapter - Kayseri, Turkey (Student)
- GITAM ACM Student Chapter - Visakhapatnam, India (Student)
- Gogte Institute of Technology ACM Student Chapter - Belgaum, India (Student)
- Humboldt State University ACM Student Chapter - Arcata, CA (Student)
- IntelliTec College ACM Student Chapter - Colorado Springs, CO (Student)
- Iowa State University ACM Student Chapter - Ames, IA (Student)
- ITM University ACM Student Chapter - Gurgaon, India (Student)
- Johnson & Wales University ACM-W Student Chapter - Providence, RI (Student)
- Korea ACM SIGARCH Chapter - Seoul, Korea (Professional)
- JUIT ACM Student Chapter - Solan, India (Student)
- Korea ACM SIGDA Chapter - Daejeon, Republic of Korea (Professional)
- Mexico City ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter - Mexico City, Mexico (Professional)
- Michigan State University ACM-W Chapter - East Lansing, MI (Student)
- MITS ACM Student Chapter - Gwalior, India (Student)
- Narasaraopeta Engineering College ACM Student Chapter - Narasaraopet, India (Student)
- NMIMS Shirpur ACM Student Chapter - Shirpur, India (Student)
- NUST SEECS ACM-W Student Chapter - Islamabad, India (Student)
- PUC ACM Student Chapter - Santiago, Chile (Student)
- Rollins College ACM Student Chapter - Winter Park, FL (Student)
- University of Cincinnati ACM-W Student Chapter - Cincinnati, OH (Student)
- University of Denver ACM Student Chapter - Denver, CO (Student)
- University of Florida ACM-W Student Chapter - Gainesville, FL (Student)
- University of Gujrat Sialkot ACM Student Chapter - Sialkot, Pakistan (Student)
- UPV ACM-W Student Chapter - Valencia, Spain (Student)
- SUNY Oswego ACM-W Student Chapter - Oswego, NY (Student)
- Wananchi ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Nairobi, Kenya (Professional)
- Wellesley College ACM Student Chapter - Wellesley, MA (Student)
On September 4th we had the pleasure to host a public lecture by Bev Bachmayer title "Powerful You in a Powerful New World." The lecture was an overview of the topic the Internet of Things (IoT). It was presented as an inspirational talk to encourage students and researchers to embrace the oportunities that the IoT brings to us.
Bev Bachmayer has worked at Intel for 31 years. She volunteers her time as Vice Chair of ACM-W Europe executive committee. She is a member of ACM, ACM-W Europe, IEEE, IEEE Computer Society and the European Professional Women's Association (EPWN).
For more information on this event, please visit http://uu.acm.org/2014/08/powerful-you-in-a-powerful-new-world-public-lecture/
ACM is considering the de-charter of certain chapters due to inactivity. Please be sure to check the following link to see if your chapter is there! http://www.acm.org/chapters/chapter-decharter/
Members interested in revitalizing their chapters should contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Those interested in remaining active should complete their 2014 Annual Report.
Written by leading domain experts for software engineers, ACM Case Studies provide an in-depth look at how software teams overcome specific challenges by implementing new technologies, adopting new practices, or a combination of both. Often through first-hand accounts, these pieces explore what the challenges were, the tools and techniques that were used to combat them, and the solution that was achieved.
ACM offers lifelong learning resources including online books and courses from Skillsoft, TechTalks on the hottest topics in computing and IT, and more.