CHAPTER MEMBER NEWSLETTER
ACM Chapter Member News | December, 2015
Welcome to the December 2015 edition of ACM Chapter Member News
Chapters are the "local neighborhoods" of ACM. Our Professional and Student chapters worldwide serve as nodes of activity for ACM members and the computing community at large, offering seminars, lectures, and the opportunity to meet peers and experts in many fields of interest. With over 850 active chapters worldwide, we would like to take the time now to connect with all of you, and bring you a few of the ACM Highlights.
HEADLINES AT A GLANCE:
Chapters were required to submit 2015 Annual Reports by August 31, 2015. Thank you to all those chapters who did so. Any active chapter who neglected to fill out their report was put on probation as of November 13, 2015. A list of these chapters can be found at: http://www.acm.org/chapters/acm-chapter-probation-notice.
Chapters put on probation can be taken off by completing their report online. In order to do so you must log in with a unique chapter web account. Please note, your chapter web account is entirely separate from your personal web account: http://www.acm.org/chapters/chapter-administrative-interface.
If you are unsure of your chapter web account or need to reset the password, please follow the link below and click on ‘Forgot your username/password/client number?: https://campus.acm.org/public/account/signin.cfm.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com.
UPE ACM Scholarships Deadline: January 15, 2016
In the search for excellence and professional commitment to the computing and information technology fields, The Executive Council of Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE), the Honor Society for the computing & Information disciplines, and the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) announce the UPE ACM STUDENT CHAPTER SCHOLARSHIP AWARD. Up to FOUR students will be chosen; each will receive $1,000 and a certificate of commendation.
Who is Eligible?
All graduate and undergraduate students who are ACM members and members of the ACM Student Chapter at their academic institution. Applicants will be judged primarily on their academic records and recommendations from their professors or academic mentors.
Please submit the materials listed below as a pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org. You also have the option to submit hard copies of the application materials to the UPE address below.
1. The Scholarship Award Application Form, as it appears on our website: http://www.acm.org/chapters/students/upe_award01
2. Two letters of recommendation (one letter indicating class rank from Department Chair or Advisor).
3. A certified copy of at least the most recent two years (minimum) official academic transcripts.
4. A statement of your participation in the ACM Student Chapter at your academic institution.
If sending in hard copies, please send your application documents to:
Upsilon Pi Epsilon
158 Wetlands Edge
Road American Canyon, CA 94503
On December 17th, PUCIT ACM Student Chapter from Lahore, Pakistan held a three day workshop on unity 3D: a software that is used for making high quality gaming applications. It creates great games with amazing graphics and sound quality. The event was full of great learning experiences and gaming tricks.
Congratulations PUCIT ACM Student Chapter and keep up the great work.
If your chapter would like to be featured in the chapter spotlight please email email@example.com with a description of your recent event.
- California Polytechnic State University ACM-W Student Chapter - San Luis Obispo, CA (Student)
- Chongqing Normal University ACM Student Chapter - Chongqing, China (Student)
- Chongqing Univ of Sci and Tech ACM Student Chapter - Chongqing, China (Student)
- CKDD ACM Chapter - Beijing, China (Professional)
- COMSATS IIT Wah Cantt ACM Student Chapter - Wah Cantt, Pakistan (Student)
- CSOFT ACM Chapter - Beijing, China (Professional)
- Curry College ACM-W Student Chapter - Milton, MA (Student)
- ERDC ACM Chapter - Vicksburg, MS (Professional)
- ITT Technical Institute Denver ACM Student Chapter - Westminster, CO (Student)
- Keiser University Lakeland ACM Student Chapter - Lakeland, FL (Student)
- Louisiana Tech University ACM Student Chapter - Ruston, LA (Student)
- MAIT ACM Student Chapter - New Delhi, India (Student)
- Manhattan College ACM Student Chapter - Riverdale, NY (Student)
- Manipal University Jaipur ACM Chapter - Jaipur, India (Student)
- Mansoura University ACM Student Chapter - Mansoura, Egypt (Student)
- Minia University ACM Student Chapter - Minia, Egypt (Student)
- National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur ACM Student Chapter - Hamirpur, India (Student)
- NMAMIT ACM-W Student Chapter - Udupi District, India (Student)
- Queen's University ACM-W Student Chapter - Ontario, Canada (Student)
- Queens College ACM Student Chapter - Flushing, NY (Student)
- Rabat ACM Chapter - Rabat, Morocco (Professional)
- SAEC ACM-W Student Chapter - Chennai, India (Student)
- SAINTGITS College of Engineering ACM Student Chapter - Kottayam, India (Student)
- Southern Virginia University ACM Student Chapter - Buena Vista, VA (Student)
- SSGMCE ACM Student Chapter - Shegaon, India (Student)
- Taipei ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Taipei, Taipei (Professional)
- Tidewater Community College ACM Student Chapter - Chesapeake, VA (Student)
- UNAP ACM Student Chapter - Puno, Peru (Student)
- Universidad de Puerto Rico Arecibo ACM-W Student Chapter - Arecibo, Puerto Rico (Student)
- Universidad del Valle de Guatemala ACM Student Chapter - Guatemala (Student)
- University of Central Punjab ACM Student Chapter - Lahore, Pakistan (Student)
- University of Louisiana Lafayette ACM-W Student Chapter - Lafayette, LA (Student)
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro ACM Student Chapter - Greensboroo, NC (Student)
- UTAA ACM Student Chapter - Ankara, Turkey (Student)
- UWI Mona ACM Student Chapter - Kingston, Jamaica (Student)
- Villanova University ACM-W Student Chapter - Villanova, PA (Student)
Not an ACM Member yet? Whether you are a student or a professional, ACM has great benefits to offer you. Read all about ACM's many benefits and membership options.
Chapter and Chapter Member Benefits
Be sure to take advantage of the benefits ACM Chapters and ACM Chapter Members receive.
Why I Belong to ACM
Hear from Bryan Cantrill, vice president of engineering at Joyent, Ben Fried chief information officer at Google, and Theo Schlossnagle, OmniTI founder on why they are members of ACM.
ACM Queue’s “Research for Practice” is your number one resource for keeping up with emerging developments in the world of theory and applying them to the challenges you face on a daily basis. In this installment, Dan Crankshaw and Joey Gonzalez provide an overview of machine learning server systems. What happens when we wish to actually deploy a machine learning model to production, and how do we serve predictions with high accuracy and high computational efficiency? Dan and Joey’s curated research selection presents cutting-edge techniques spanning database-level integration, video processing, and prediction middleware. Given the explosion of interest in machine learning and its increasing impact on seemingly every application vertical, it's possible that systems such as these will become as commonplace as relational databases are today.