Chapter Member Newsletter
ACM Chapter Member News | September 2016
Welcome to the September 2016 edition of ACM Chapter Member News
Chapters are the "local neighborhoods" of ACM. Our Professional and Student chapters worldwide serve as nodes of activity for ACM members and the computing community at large, offering seminars, lectures, and the opportunity to meet peers and experts in many fields of interest. With over 1000 active chapters worldwide, we would like to take the time now to connect with all of you, and bring you a few ACM Highlights.
HEADLINES AT A GLANCE:
Congratulations to the CECL for holding their third successful workshop for chapters. This workshop was held in Prague this past August to gather feedback from chapters, share best practices, forge links between chapters, and kickstart new initiatives. Both Bobby Schnabel, ACM CEO and Executive Director, and Alex Wolf, ACM Past President presented for the group along with an array of ACM leaders from throughout Europe and many chapter representatives who presented on their chapter initiatives, successes, and difficulties. There was also much lively group work and discussions.
We hope everyone had a wonderful time and rewarding experience.
The Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter along with ASIFA Portland held a unique event called Sketch & Stretch in Portland, OR in August. The afternoon was full of fitness and art with opportunities for everyone to exercise, draw, or both. Keph Sherin, a gifted acrobat and fitness instructor, led two exercise sessions and yogis doubled as figure drawing models and sketchers as everyone stretched their creative and literal muscles together.
Congratulations Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter. Keep up the great work!
If your chapter would like to be featured in the chapter spotlight please email email@example.com with a description of your recent event.
- Amrita School of Engineering, Amritapuri ACM Student Chapter – Kollam, India (Student)
- Belgrade ACM-W Chapter – Belgrade, Serbia (Professional)
- Bharat Institute of Engineering and Technology ACM Student Chapter – Hyderabad, India (Student)
- Chandigarh Engineering College ACM Student Chapter – Mohali, India (Student)
- CHARUSAT ACM Student Chapter – Anand, India (Student)
- Cheyney University ACM-W Student Chapter – Cheyney, PA (Student)
- CMOD ACM Chapter – Beijing, China (Professional)
- CRITAC ACM Chapter – Accra, Ghana (Professional)
- CSU East Bay ACM-W Student Chapter - Hayward, CA (Student)
- Fairleigh Dickinson University ACM-W Student Chapter – Madison, NJ (Student)
- GMRIT ACM Student Chapter – RAJAM, India (Student)
- IFPB ACM Student Chapter - João Pessoa, Brazil (Student)
- Japan ACM SIGCHI Chapter – Sendai, Japan (Professional)
- KAIST ACM Student Chapter – Daejeon, Republic of Korea (Student)
- MRIU ACM Student Chapter – Faridabad, India (Student)
- MSA University ACM Student Chapter – Octobor, Egypt (Student)
- National Institute of Technology, Silchar ACM Student Chapter – Silchar, India (Student)
- NYU Tandon School of Engineering ACM-W Student Chapter – Brooklyn, NY (Student)
- Oberlin College ACM-W Student Chapter – Oberlin, OH (Student)
- OPJU ACM Student Chapter – Raigarh, India (Student)
- Osaka University ACM-W Student Chapter - Osaka, Japan (Student)
- Pomona College ACM-W Student Chapter – Claremont, CA (Student)
- RCCIIT ACM Student Chapter – Kolkata, India (Student)
- Rowan University ACM-W Student Chapter – Glassboro, NJ (Student)
- S R Engineering College ACM Student Chapter - Hanamkonda, WGL, India (Student)
- Singapore ACM Chapter – Singapore (Professional)
- Snow College ACM-W Student Chapter – Ephraim, UT (Student)
- Tufts University ACM-W Student Chapter – Medford, MA (Student)
- UANL ACM Student Chapter - San Nicolás de los Garza, Mexico (Student)
- University of Delaware ACM-W Student Chapter – Newark, DE (Student)
- University Of Minnesota ACM Student Chapter – Minneapolis, MN (Student)
- University of Munich ACM Student Chapter – Munich, Germany (Student)
- University of Nebraska-Omaha ACM-W Student Chapter – Omaha, NE (Student)
- University of Nottingham ACM-W Student Chapter – Nottingham, UK (Student)
- University of San Francisco ACM-W Student Chapter - San Francisco, CA (Student)
- University of West Florida ACM Student Chapter – Pensacola, FL (Student)
- University of West Florida ACM-W Student Chapter – Pensacola, FL (Student)
- UQAM ACM-W Student Chapter – Montreal, QC (Student)
- Western Washington University ACM-W Student Chapter – Bellingham, WA (Student)
- Xi'an ACM Chapter - Xi'an, China (Professional)
Not an ACM Member yet? Whether you are a student or a professional, ACM has great benefits to offer you. Read all about ACM's many benefits and membership options.
Chapter and Chapter Member Benefits
Be sure to take advantage of the benefits ACM Chapters and ACM Chapter Members receive.
Written by leading domain experts for software engineers, ACM Case Studies provide an in-depth look at how software teams overcome specific challenges by implementing new technologies, adopting new practices, or a combination of both. Often through first-hand accounts, these pieces explore what the challenges were, the tools and techniques that were used to combat them, and the solution that was achieved.
ACM Queue’s “Research for Practice” serves up expert-curated guides to the best of computing research, and relates these breakthroughs to the challenges that software engineers face every day. This installment, “The DevOps Phenomenon” by Anna Wiedemann, Nicole Forsgren, Manuel Wiesche, Heiko Gewald and Helmut Krcmar, gives an overview of stories from across the industry about software organizations overcoming early hurdles of adopting DevOps practices, and coming out on the other side with tighter integration between software and operations teams, faster delivery times for new software features, and achieving higher levels of stability.