Chapter Member Newsletter
ACM Chapter Member News | December 2018
Welcome to the December 2018 edition of the ACM Chapter Member News
Chapters are the "local neighborhoods" of ACM. Our Professional and Student chapters worldwide serve as nodes of activity for ACM members and the computing community at large, offering seminars, lectures, and the opportunity to meet peers and experts in many fields of interest. With over 950 active chapters worldwide, we would like to take the time now to connect with all of you, and bring you a few ACM Highlights.
HEADLINES AT A GLANCE:
Probationary and De-Chartered Chapters
ACM has placed active chapters who did not complete their 2018 annual reports on probation and chapters on probation were de-chartered. Chapters put on probation can be found at https://www.acm.org/chapters/acm-chapter-probation-notice and those de-chartered at https://www.acm.org/chapters/acm-chapter-de-charter-notice.
Members interested in activating their chapters should complete their 2018 Annual Report immediately. If you have any questions, contact the ACM Local Activities Department at email@example.com.
UPE ACM Scholarships Winners
In the search for excellence and professional commitment to the computing and information technology fields, the Executive Council of Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE) and the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) are proud to announce the UPE ACM Student Chapter Scholarship Award Winners. Each will receive $1,000.
The winners are:
- Blair Doyle, University of South Alabama
- Ioanna Deni, Mount Holyoke College
- Artem Skitenko, Texas A&M University - San Antonio
- Jeff Rowell, Metropolitan State University
Congratulations to all the winners and thank you to all of you who participated.
Hour of Code
The Hour of Code is a global movement designed to generate excitement in young people about programming and technology. Games, tutorials, and other events were organized during Computer Science Education Week around the world. ACM would like to congratulate all the ACM chapters that took part this year. You can find the complete list of chapters who participated at: https://www.acm.org/chapters/students/csedweek2018.
MUET ACM Student Chapter
The MUET ACM Student Chapter conducted a Microsoft Office Specialist Training on December 6th. MOS Training is an integral part of this Chapter's activities and they conduct them on a periodical basis. These trainings are attended by students and teachers alike and take place in the Main Auditorium of Mehran UET in Jamshoro, Pakistan. The expected audience was only 50 people, but since the event was free of cost and open to all, they had 200+ participants! The participants included senior teachers and students from their university.
Cairo ACM SIGCHI Chapter
On November 23rd, the Cairo ACM SIGCHI Chapter conducted a national bachelor’s project competition. Students and industry members were invited. The competition was sponsored by teo industry members (zLien and eSpace) who provided monetary rewards alongside the certificates presented from the chapter. Students presented their posters during the event hosted in the German University in Cairo. The top 5 posters were selected for a 10 minute presentation each and the top 3 selected. The students had a wide variety of topics from authentication techniques, virtual reality, health applications, education and others. The competition received positive feedback from all stakeholders and is expected to be replicated in the future.
ITU ACM Student Chapter
On December 5th, ITU ACM Student Chapter from Instanbul, Turkey hosted Faruk Eczacıbaşı, the Vice President of Eczacıbaşı Holding and the President of the Turkish Informatics Foundation (TBV) for a chat on his recently published book. Entitled Daha Yeni Başlıyor (It Has Only Just Begun), the book analyzes the economic and social impact in Turkey and worldwide of the accelerating pace of technological change, considers the challenges for individuals, institutions and societies, and discusses ways to prepare for the positive and negative aspects of this new future. During this inspirational chat, Eczacıbaşı mentioned the main ideas from his book and made future projections on network, convergence and data security subjects from a broader perspective. The chat took place with the participation of Istanbul Technical University’s Chancellor, academicians and more than 300 students all around the campus and ended with Faruk Eczacıbaşı challenging some of the students with a fun game requiring flexible thinking abilities
Congratulations to all these chapters on their wonderful work.
If your chapter would like to be featured in the chapter spotlight please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of your recent event.
- Alpha Arts and Science College ACM-W Student Chapter - Chennai, India (Student)
- Applied Artificial Intelligence and Analytics ACM SIGAI Chapter- Laguna Niguel, CA (Professional)
- Central Washington University ACM Student Chapter - Ellensburg, WA (Student)
- China ACM SIGAPP Chapter - Qingdao, China (Professional)
- Digital Transformation ACM Chapter - Thohoyandou, South Africa (Professional)
- DSCE ISE ACM Student Chapter - Bangalore, India (Student)
- Firat University ACM Student Chapter - Elazig, Turkey (Student)
- FR. C.R.C.E. ACM Student Chapter - Mumbai, India (Student)
- Franklin University ACM Student Chapter - Columbus, OH (Student)
- Ganpat University ACM Student Chapter - Ahmedabad, India (Student)
- Georgia State University ACM-W Student Chapter – Atlanta, GA (Student)
- High Performance Data Analytics ACM SIGKDD Chapter - Vicksburg, MS (Professional)
- IIIT Kottayam ACM Student Chapter - Kottayam, India (Student)
- IIT Goa ACM Student Chapter - Goa India (Student)
- IT-University ACM Student Chapter - Kerkwijk, Netherlands (Student)
- James Madison University ACM-W Student Chapter - Harrisonburg, VA (Student)
- KLECET Chikodi ACM Student Chapter - Chikodi, India (Student)
- KSU ACM Student Chapter - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Student)
- Lafayette College ACM Student Chapter - Easton, PA (Student)
- Lander College for Women ACM Student Chapter – New York, NY (Student)
- Los Rios CCD Sacramento ACM Student Chapter - Sacramento, CA (Student)
- MBC Peermade ACM Student Chapter – Idukki, India (Student)
- Melbourne ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Port Melbourne, Australia (Professional)
- Mercyhurst University ACM Student Chapter - Erie, PA (Student)
- MIT WPU ACM Student Chapter - Pune, India (Student)
- Montréal ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter - Montreal, Canada (Professional)
- Oklahoma City University ACM Student Chapter - Oklahoma City, OK (Student)
- Pellissippi State Community College ACM Student Chapter – Knoxville, TN (Student)
- PESMCOE ACM Student Chapter – Pune, India (Student)
- Punjab Engineering College ACM Student Chapter - Chandigarh, India (Student)
- Qingdao China ACM Chapter - Qingdao, China (Professional)
- RCOEM ACM Student Chapter - Nagpur, India (Student)
- SHU ACM Student Chapter - Fairfield, CT (Student)
- Taipei ACM SIGAPP Chapter - Taipei, Taiwan (Professional)
- UACJ-IIT ACM Student Chapter - Ciudad Juarez , Mexico (Student)
- UALR ACM Student Chapter - Little Rock , AR (Student)
- UEM Kolkata ACM Student Chapter - Kolkata , India (Student)
- University of Kentucky ACM-W Student Chapter - Lexington, KY (Student)
- University of South Florida ACM-W Student Chapter - Tampa, FL (Student)
- USICT ACM Student Chapter - DELHI, India (Student)
- Western New England University ACM Student Chapter - Springfield, MA (Student)
- Whitman College ACM Student Chapter - Walla Walla, WA (Student)
Not an ACM Member yet? Whether you are a student or a professional, ACM has great benefits to offer you. Read all about ACM's many benefits and membership options.
Chapter and Chapter Member Benefits
Be sure to take advantage of the benefits ACM Chapters and ACM Chapter Members receive.
Written by leading domain experts for software engineers, ACM Case Studies provide an in-depth look at how software teams overcome specific challenges by implementing new technologies, adopting new practices, or a combination of both. Often through first-hand accounts, these pieces explore what the challenges were, the tools and techniques that were used to combat them, and the solution that was achieved.
ACM offers lifelong learning resources including online books from O'Reilly, online courses from Skillsoft, TechTalks on the hottest topics in computing and IT, and more.