Chapter Member Newsletter
ACM Chapter Member News | December 2019
Welcome to the December 2019 edition of the ACM Chapter Member News.
Chapters are the "local neighborhoods" of ACM. Our Professional and Student chapters worldwide serve as nodes of activity for ACM members and the computing community at large, offering seminars, lectures, and the opportunity to meet peers and experts in many fields of interest. With over 950 active chapters worldwide, we would like to take the time now to connect with all of you and bring you a few ACM Highlights.
HEADLINES AT A GLANCE:
2019 Annual Reports
Chapters were required to submit their 2019 Annual Reports by August 31, 2019. Thank you to all those chapters who did so. In November any active chapter who neglected to fill out their report was put on probation and any chapter already on probation was de-chartered.
Officers interested in reactivating their chapters should complete their 2019 Annual Report immediately. In order to do so you must log in with your unique chapter web account. Please note, your chapter web account is entirely separate from your personal web account: https://services.acm.org/public/chapters/chapterprofile/chapteradmin.cfm. If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it a: https://accounts.acm.org/signin.cfm?r=1.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hour of Code
The Hour of Code is a global movement designed to generate excitement in young people about programming and technology. Games, tutorials, and other events are organized during Computer Science Education Week around the world. ACM would like to congratulate all the ACM chapters that are taking part this year. You can find the complete list of chapters participating at: https://www.acm.org/chapters/students/csedweek2019.
El Paso Community College ACM Student Chapter
On November 21st the El Paso Community College ACM Student Chapter in collaboration with the White Sands Missile Range organized a workshop on Cybersecurity titled: Man in the Middle Cybersecurity Capture the Flag Workshop. The purpose was to increase cybersecurity awareness in the classroom and in their community, and to accomplish the objectives of the Center of Academic of Excellence in Cybersecurity. The event was attended by 52 students. You can read more about it at: https://www.tejanotribune.com/single-post/2019/12/03/Students-learn-about-cybersecurity-1.
Guadalajara ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter
In October the Guadalajara ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter held an event called CG Talks Historias en 40 segundos (CG Talks Stories in 40 seconds). In this lecture, presenter Andrés Alejandro Martinez explained principal points to consider when assembling stories that connect with your target market in projects for video and animation. He dissected the 40 second format and how its structure, frame format, visual style and a good trained eye can form a good story. The event was held at the UNIVA University in Zapopan, Mexico and attended mostly by students.
Congratulations to both chapters and keep up the great work.
If your chapter would like to be featured in the chapter spotlight, please email email@example.com with a description of your recent event.
- Amity University Rajasthan ACM Student Chapter - Jaipur, India (Student)
- Amman ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Amman, Jordan (Professional)
- BGCTUB ACM Student Chapter - Chattagram, Bangladesh (Student)
- Boston University ACM-W Student Chapter - Boston, MA (Student)
- Casablanca ACM Chapter - Mohammadia, Morocco (Professional)
- Chicago ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Chicago, IL (Professional)
- CSE Punjabi University ACM Student Chapter - Patiala, India (Student)
- Delhi ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Gurgaon, India (Professional)
- DSCE ACM-W Student Chapter - Bengaluru, India (Student)
- Esperanza High School ACM Student Chapter - Anaheim, CA (Student)
- Humboldt State ACM Student Chapter - Arcata, CA (Student)
- IET ACM Student Chapter - Lucknow, India (Student)
- IIT Bombay ACM SIGCHI Student Chapter - Mumbai, India (Student)
- Instituto Tecnológico de San Luis Potosí ACM Student Chapter - San Luis Potosí, Mexico (Student)
- IPB University ACM SIGCHI Student Chapter - Bogor, Indonesia (Student)
- K L University ACM Student Chapter - Guntur Dist, India (Student)
- Kharkiv ACM Chapter - Kharkiv, Ukraine (Professional)
- Lovely Professional University ACM Student Chapter - Phagwara, India (Student)
- Midwestern State University ACM Student Chapter - Wichita Falls, TX (Student)
- MIET Meerut ACM Student Chapter - Meerut, India (Student)
- Minnesota State University Mankato ACM Student Chapter - Mankato, MN (Student)
- Mississippi State ACM Student Chapter - Starkville, MS (Student)
- MNIT ACM Student Chapter - JAIPUR, India (Student)
- Mumbai ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Mumbai, India (Professional)
- National Chi Nan University ACM Student Chapter - Puli Township, Taiwan (Student)
- Oakland University ACM SIGCHI Student Chapter - Rochester, MI (Student)
- Oregon State University-Cascades ACM-W Student Chapter - Bend, OR (Student)
- Rahkaar ACM Chapter - Okinawa, Japan (Professional)
- Rollins College ACM Student Chapter - Winter Park, FL (Student)
- Saddleback College ACM Student Chapter - Mission Viejo, CA (Student)
- SBPCOE Indapur ACM Student Chapter - Indapur, India (Student)
- SSTC ACM Student Chapter - Bhilai, India (Student)
- Sullamussalam Science College ACM Student Chapter - Malappuram, India (Student)
- SUST ACM Student Chapter - Sylhet, Bangladesh (Student)
- Tiffin University ACM Student Chapter - Tiffin, OH (Student)
- UET ACM Student Chapter - Sheikhupura, Pakistan (Student)
- UGA ACM-W Student Chapter - Athens, GA (Student)
- UIUC ACM-W Student Chapter - Champaign, IL (Student)
- UMass Lowell ACM-W Student Chapter - Lowell, MA (Student)
- University of Hawaii at Manoa ACM-W Student Chapter - Honolulu, HI (Student)
- University of New Mexico ACM-W Student Chapter - Albuquerque, NM (Student)
- University of North Texas ACM Student Chapter - Denton, TX (Student)
- University of Washington Bothell ACM-W Student Chapter - Bothell, WA (Student)
- UOS ACM Student Chapter - Sharjah, United Arab Emirates (Student)
- VIIT ACM Student Chapter - Pune, India (Student)
Not an ACM Member yet? Whether you are a student or a professional, ACM has great benefits to offer you. Read all about ACM's many benefits and membership options.
Chapter and Chapter Member Benefits
Be sure to take advantage of the benefits ACM Chapters and ACM Chapter Members receive.
Why I Belong to ACM
Hear from Bryan Cantrill, vice president of engineering at Joyent, Ben Fried chief information officer at Google, and Theo Schlossnagle, OmniTI founder on why they are members of ACM.
Written by leading domain experts for software engineers, ACM Case Studies provide an in-depth look at how software teams overcome specific challenges by implementing new technologies, adopting new practices, or a combination of both. Often through first-hand accounts, these pieces explore what the challenges were, the tools and techniques that were used to combat them, and the solution that was achieved.
ACM Queue’s “Research for Practice” serves up expert-curated guides to the best of computing research, and relates these breakthroughs to the challenges that software engineers face every day. This installment, “The DevOps Phenomenon” by Anna Wiedemann, Nicole Forsgren, Manuel Wiesche, Heiko Gewald and Helmut Krcmar, gives an overview of stories from across the industry about software organizations overcoming early hurdles of adopting DevOps practices, and coming out on the other side with tighter integration between software and operations teams, faster delivery times for new software features, and achieving higher levels of stability.