Chapter Member Newsletter
ACM Chapter Member News | March 2019
Welcome to the March 2019 edition of the ACM Chapter Member News
Chapters are the "local neighborhoods" of ACM. Our Professional and Student chapters worldwide serve as nodes of activity for ACM members and the computing community at large, offering seminars, lectures, and the opportunity to meet peers and experts in many fields of interest. With over 1000 active chapters worldwide, we would like to take the time now to connect with all of you, and bring you a few ACM Highlights.
HEADLINES AT A GLANCE:
Maintaining Chapter Information
This is a reminder for all chapters that chapter addresses should be kept up to date through the Chapter Administrative Interface. You can check and edit your address by clicking 'view/edit' in the 'Chapter Profile' box. Please take a moment to ensure your chapter address is correct. If you need assistance logging in, please contact email@example.com.
Student Chapter Excellence Awards
It is that time of year again! The ACM Student Chapter Excellence Awards recognizes outstanding ACM student chapters. All student chapters in good standing are encouraged to apply for this award in one or more of the following five key areas:
- Outstanding Chapter Activities
- Outstanding Chapter Website
- Outstanding Recruitment Program
- Outstanding Community Service
- Outstanding School Service
This year each category has its own online application and submissions are due by Tuesday, March 26 at 11:59 pm EST. To be considered for one or more of these awards, ACM student chapters must complete the applications found at: www.acm.org/chapters/student-chapter-excellence-awards. Please ensure to use your official chapter name in your essays.
Winning chapters in each of these categories will receive $500 USD and a "best of" icon to proudly display on their chapter's website. Also, these chapters will be recognized on the ACM website and in ACM MemberNet.
UITCS ACM Student Chapter
UITCS ACM Student Chapter from Karachi, Pakistan organized two special interest training programs for students from December 2018 to February 2019. The programs were in the domains of IoT and Game Development. They were structured to teach students from basic to advanced levels. The Students were given hands on experience with electronic and computing devices and were proficient in using the IoT and Game Development tools and concepts by the end of the training. The projects of the students were displayed in a program completion exhibition and the entire activity was free of cost
Northern Illinois University ACM Student Chapter
On February 14th the Northern Illinois University ACM Student Chapter hosted two representatives from Motorola Solutions in Chicago who presented on Embedded Systems. To help the audiences understanding of what role embedded systems play in products, the representatives used their high-end 2-way radio as a practical example. The presenters then delved into the process of designing embedded systems, and how the systems need to resource light for processing. As first responders depend on their radios for communication, it is vital that each radio be as efficient as possible. The final takeaway from the lecture was to know that embedded systems, as well as the people behind them, are important for innovation, communication, consumer ease of use, and the development of future systems.
Reva University ACM Student Chapter
On February 26th the Reva University ACM Student Chapter organized an Inter School Coding Competition named "Code Wars V1.0" in which 104 students formed 30 teams. The Contest was divided into three rounds:
- Beat the Clock - Participants were expected to code the solution to 15 questions in 60 minutes.
- Capture the Point- The top 10 winners of the first round, faced a series of rapid questions.
- Decipher the Code- The participants were given encrypted text to decipher the question. After deciphering the question they were expected to solve it in code. The top two teams were the final winners.
This competition saw an overwhelming participation from the students across the Schools.
Congratulations to all these chapters on their wonderful work.
If your chapter would like to be featured in the chapter spotlight, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of your recent event.
- ADCET ACM Student Chapter - Ashta, India (Student)
- Adelphi University ACM-W Student Chapter - Garden City, NY (Student)
- Azusa Pacific University ACM Student Chapter - Azusa, CA (Student)
- BgASC ACM Chapter - Sofia, Bulgaria (Professional)
- Bishop Heber College ACM Student Chapter - Tiruchirappalli, India (Student)
- Chitkara University ACM Student Chapter - Barotiwala, India (Student)
- FEU Alabang ACM Student Chapter - Filinvest Muntinlupa, Philippines (Student)
- GIKI ACM Student Chapter - Topi, Pakistan (Student)
- Hashemite University ACM Student Chapter - Zarqa, Jordan (Student)
- Hofstra University ACM Student Chapter - Hempstead, NY (Student)
- IAC SAGE ACM Student Chapter - Indore, India (Student)
- IAC SAGE ACM-W Student Chapter - Indore, India (Student)
- IUB ACM Student Chapter - Dhaka, Bangladesh (Student)
- JECRC ACM Student Chapter - Jaipur, India (Student)
- KARE ACM-W Student Chapter - Srivilliputtur, India (Student)
- Korea ACM SIGAPP Chapter - Seoul, Republic of Korea (Professional)
- Kuwait City ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Safat, Kuwait (Professional)
- MRIIRS FCA ACM Student Chapter - Faridabad, India (Student)
- NSU ACM SIGBED Student Chapter - Dhaka, Bangladesh (Student)
- PCCOE ACM-W Student Chapter - Pune, India (Student)
- PCE ACM Student Chapter - Nagpur, India (Student)
- Qarshi University ACM Student Chapter - Lahore, Pakistan (Student)
- RCCIIT ACM-W Student Chapter - Kolkata, India (Student)
- RTP ACM Chapter - Cary, NC (Professional)
- San Jose State ACM SIGGRAPH Student Chapter - San Jose, CA (Student)
- SASTRA University ACM Student Chapter - Thanjavur, India (Student)
- SDSU ACM Student Chapter - San Diego, CA (Student)
- SICSR ACM-W Student Chapter - Pune, India (Student)
- SIRT Indore ACM Student Chapter - Indore, India (Student)
- SIRT Indore ACM-W Student Chapter - Indore, India (Student)
- SMIT ACM Student Chapter - Rangpo, India (Student)
- SNHU ACM Student Chapter - Manchester, NH (Student)
- Southeastern LA University ACM-W Student Chapter - Hammond, LA (Student)
- SRM ACM SIGAI Student Chapter - Chennai India (Student)
- SRM University AP ACM-W Student Chapter - Amaravati India, (Student)
- St. Claret College ACM-W Student Chapter - Bangalore, India (Student)
- Texas State University ACM Student Chapter - San Marcos, TX (Student)
- UAA ACM Student Chapter - Anchorage, AK (Student)
- UAH ACM Student Chapter - Huntsville, AL (Student)
- UDLA ACM Student Chapter - Quito, Ecuador (Student)
- UNAM-FI ACM Student Chapter - Mexico City, Mexico (Student)
- University of Alabama ACM-W Student Chapter - Tuscaloosa, AL (Student)
- University of Shumen ACM Student Chapter - Shumen, Bulgaria (Student)
- Valparaíso ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Valparaíso, Chile (Professional)
- Vel Tech ACM Student Chapter - Chennai, India (Student)
- VIT Bhopal ACM Student Chapter - Sehore, India (Student)
Not an ACM Member yet? Whether you are a student or a professional, ACM has great benefits to offer you. Read all about ACM's many benefits and membership options.
Chapter and Chapter Member Benefits
Be sure to take advantage of the benefits ACM Chapters and ACM Chapter Members receive.
Written by leading domain experts for software engineers, ACM Case Studies provide an in-depth look at how software teams overcome specific challenges by implementing new technologies, adopting new practices, or a combination of both. Often through first-hand accounts, these pieces explore what the challenges were, the tools and techniques that were used to combat them, and the solution that was achieved.
ACM's prestigious conferences and journals are seeking top-quality papers in all areas of computing and IT. It is now easier than ever to find the most appropriate venue for your research and publish with ACM.
ACM offers lifelong learning resources including online books from O'Reilly, online courses from Skillsoft, TechTalks on the hottest topics in computing and IT, and more.