Minutes of the March 15, 1999 SGB EC Conference Call

Notkin opened the meeting by thanking all members of the SGB EC for their patience and support at the recent SIG meetings.

1) August Meeting Schedule and Agenda -

VC Notkin indicated that there were 2 issues that needed to be decided. The first was when to have the next set of meetings/orientation for new officers. The options were August and October. The second issue was how to schedule the meetings and the orientation.

There was hesitation about moving the meetings too late into the terms of new officers. The meetings were moved from October to August in 1995 as a result of requests by SIG Leaders. August meant that they were only in office for 1-2 months before having their orientation. August is a very busy conference month leaving only a small window without conflict. It's also a month that many are enjoying vacation. The pros and cons of both months were discussed and the group decided that August was preferred making October the 2nd choice. The SGB EC decided to seek input from a small number of SGB leaders.

Action: Notkin will attempt to find August dates that are acceptable to a majority of the attendees. He will survey a few leaders to be sure that August is the preferred month.

The group then discussed the pattern of the meeting and the orientation. Previously the orientation was a full day with all board members in attendance. Notkin and Ellis did not see the need for all board members to participate. Notkin suggested the following schedule to begin discussions:

Day 1

  • am - orientation with small set of SGB EC members
  • 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm - SGB EC Mtg.
  • 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm - dinner with SGB/SGB EC and other leaders that participated in orientation

Day 2

  • SGB Mtg. from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm - SGB EC wrap up dinner

This schedule allows informal discussions to take place on Friday evening at dinner. There's a much smaller review schedule this time around, allowing the agenda to include more topics. Cassel suggested a 1 1/2 day SGB meeting. Allowing election, common resources and a whole number of other topics to be discussed without have to compress them. Recognizing that the Fall meetings in odd numbered years include orientation, this may not be possible but the SGB EC should not be afraid to hold a 1 1/2 day meeting in the future. Notkin suggested that the Chairs be polled to see what format they'd prefer. Snodgrass suggested that the meeting become more than a monologue to the Chairs. It's read only and we need to build in time for interaction, SIGs need community building and giving more time could do that.

It was suggested that the orientation be arranged after the meetings but then decided that before the meetings was best. The group discussed the possibilities with a 3 day schedule allowing a night in-between the SGB session. The following schedule was suggested:

Day 1

  • am - orientation
  • 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm - SGB Mtg.
  • 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm - dinner with SGB/SGB EC and other leaders that participated in orientation

Day 2 - SGB Mtg.

  • 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Day 3 - SGB Mtg.
  • 9:00 am - 12:00 noon
  • SGB EC wrap up from 1:00 - 4:00 or 5:00 pm

Cassel suggested polling the SGB to see what type of schedule would accommodate their needs and expectations for SGB meetings. Notkin agreed that would be appropriate and agreed to handle.

Action: Notkin will poll SGB with regard to the SGB meeting/orientation pattern.

2) SIGGRAPH Budget Request -

Whitton was unavailable for the conference call. As a result, the Board sought background from McCarren on this request. He indicated that if a budget line item is changed by more than 5%, the SIG needs to go the SGB EC for approval of that budget item. The SIGGRAPH EC was requesting that the SGB EC approve 2 unbudgeted expenses in order to complete a movie project that the SIGGRAPH leadership had undertaken. In order to move ahead with this project, SIGGRAPH required $350,000 in FY'99 and $110,000 in FY'00 for the premier of the movie at SIGGRAPH 99 in August (FY'00). These expenses were not submitted as part of SIGGRAPH's FY'99 and FY'00 budgets.

Whitton sent out detailed information with regard to the background of the project indicating that the SIGGRAPH EC fully supported the expenditures.

Motion: Move that the SGB EC approve the SIGGRAPH EC budget request to include a $350,000 movie expense in their FY'99 budget and to include a $110,000 movie premier expense in their FY'00 budget.
(Soffa, Ellis)

Action: McCarren to inform appropriate SIGGRAPH leadership and ACM HQ staff of changes in SIGGRAPH's FY'99 and FY'00 budgets.

3) Dissolution of SIGNUM -

Small SIG Advisor Cassel reported that the SIG's leadership would like the fund balance remaining after dissolution be turned into an ACM scholarship fund to benefit the SIGNUM Community. It was suggested that some of the remaining fund balance be used to digitize older issues of TOMS that still need to be placed into the DL. The Board supported this. Ellis reminded the Board that the SIG needs to fulfill its obligations to their membership first, whatever is left can then be used for other programs. It was suggested that the members of SIGNUM be allowed to select another SIG, even the most expensive (SIGGRAPH) as compensation. Individuals can have the option of satisfying their membership with any other ACM SIG or donating that to the scholarship fund. The Board suggested that a letter go to the membership explaining the dissolution, asking for champions to revitalize and outlining membership options should none be found. Anyone proposing to revitalize the SIG will be asked to contact Baglio who will be responsible for reporting that to the Board.

Action: Cassel will talk to SIGNUM Chair and work out a letter to be sent to the membership detailing the dissolution of the SIG, what's to be done with the fund balance, a check-off list for membership obligations including the scholarship and contact for champion to revitalize.

4) FCRC - HQ Liaison Baglio will update SGB EC on the activities of this upcoming event.

There was no time to discuss this item during the call.

5) SGB EC Member Reports - All EC members may provide a report if they wish to.

It would be helpful if the following people could provide information: Baer - Election Task Force, Furuta - SIG Model Task Force and Technical Standards Committee, Notkin - Program Review

There was no time to discuss the member report item during the call.

6) Review status of Current Action Items - A list of action items will be distributed.

There was no time to discuss the current action items during the call. Board members that have completed an action item should report that completion to Baglio.

7) Other Business

VC Notkin will be unable to participate in conference calls if they are held on the 2nd Monday at 5:00 pm EST. Others also may have conflicts. He will work with Baglio on alternate dates.

Action: Notkin will work with Baglio on dates for the next set of conference calls.



  • Jean-Loup Baer
  • Donna Baglio
  • Boots Cassel
  • Carla Ellis
  • Doris Lidtke
  • Patrick McCarren
  • David Notkin
  • Richard Snodgrass
  • Mary Lou Soffa
  • Jim Cohoon
  • Rick Furuta
  • Mary Whitton