Minutes of the SGB EC Wrap-Up Meeting October 3, 1999

1. Review of motions and actions of SGB meeting held on October 2, 1999 [Baglio]

The motions and actions of the SGB meeting were reviewed.

2.0 Other Items

Baglio was asked to distribute the URL for the Constitution and Bylaws to the SGB and Leaders. There was a concern that not everyone had an up to date version.

Action: Baglio to distribute updated ACM Constitution and Bylaws URL to SGB and Leaders.

The SGB EC discussed the DL revenue split. It would be up to the SGB EC to make a recommendation on how to distribute that 30%. Some ideas included plowing it back into the library or offsetting the total allocation. Members of the SGB EC felt it was time to review the allocation. A standing committee would be developed to review what we're doing (services, etc.). Perhaps the outcome will be a simplification of the system. Chesnais volunteered to chair the committee.

Action: SGB EC needs to make recommendation on how to distribute the DL revenue of 30% that they'll be receiving.

Action: Ellis to develop a standing committee and DL distribution on allocation task force. Chesnais is to chair.

2.1 SPF to replace SDF

Ellis indicated she was preparing to put together the SPF committee. She would seek recommendation from Cunningham on possible committee members.

2.2 Change in SOR

Notkin will work with Whitton and Baglio to come up with triggers for program reviews.

Action: Notkin to work with Baglio and Whitton on triggers for program reviews.

2.3 FCRC

Baglio was instructed to work with Johnson on a location for 2003. It was suggested that D. Johnson come up with FCRC standard rules and a deadline by the next meeting where a report will be issued.


Notkin reminded the SGB EC that SIGBIO was in limbo. There was some discussion about placing them in transition but the SGB EC decided against it.

Notkin will work with BIO, APP and CUE prior to the next meeting to help them prepare their program reviews. The SGB EC is concerned about time during the next set of meetings considering the amount of reviews. MS Johnson suggested a conference call to get BIO, APP and CUE started.

Action: Baglio to place CUE, APP, BIO on 2-hour January conference call agenda.

2.5 Membership Activities Board and SIG overlaps/cooperation's

Arnold provided an update from the Membership Activities Board. The MAB Activities Board Charter encourages the development of programs that will enhance membership. Their priorities include: globalization, student involvement, providing value to all members, to increase the exposure of ACM values and assets to the global IT commitment and to understand problems of local growth.

Arnold outlined the globalization goals: to increase the exposure of ACM values and assets to the global IT community, to understand the problems and aspirations of local professional IT communities, to ensure that ACM's activities are planned to reinforce shared objectives, to increase ACM's influence and respect globally by cooperation. The MAB globalization activities include: dues and subs scheme based on GDP, electronic community (including DL delivery), events and lectureship program, donations program, working groups active in Mexico, China, Egypt, Eastern Europe, Starting in Australia/New Zealand, and Southern Africa. The MAB is working on layered dues and subscription rates. The proposals are currently based on average GDP from UN figures organized in 3-levels. Full dues and DL can easily equate to several months' salary in level 3. The MAB is concentrating on routes to allow access to Dl - Consortia, agreements with local societies.

The MAB is proposing to start regional bodies to coordinate and empower developments (NOT to oversee and control). This will allow ACM to have a presence and the ability to monitor local conditions and develop priorities and propose programs. They would be a source of local intelligence and expertise, possibly to maintain local currency accounts.

Other MAB developments include further developing the lectureship program by using regional lecturers that attend flagship events. Arnold reminded the SGB EC that John White discussed the on-line tutorials program under development during the SGB meeting. The MAB is exploring providing a career resource center.

The challenges they see in global ACM activities include: Cooperation between central and SIG programs (and local interest groups), keeping mutually informed and presenting harmonized messages.

The MAB suggests development within SIGs. Enhancing activities with cooperation such as co-sponsorship of lecturers and developing shared information sources.

Action: Arnold to forward membership discussion slides to Baglio from the October 3 meeting for posting.

2.6 SIGMOBILE /SIGCOMM Conference Conflict

Cassel received a call from the chair of SIGCOMM. There is a potential conflict with SIGMOBILE. Both are planning to hold their annual conferences at the same time. Cassel spoke to the MOBILE Chair yesterday, there is a conference call on Monday between Erica Johnson, Cassel, Chair and Vice Chair of SIGCOMM to discuss. There are two issues here, the conference overlap and the paper deadlines. There seems to be unwillingness on the part of the leaders to come to an agreement. The SIGCOMM leaders have made some suggestions, none of which have been accepted by SIGMOBILE. The dates of both conferences are too close together. COMM suggested separating the conferences or having joint paper submissions. MOBILE is not in favor of this. The goal of the SGB is to promote wider SIG Cooperation and they need to be reminded of this. The leaders need to talk and work out a reasonable solution.

Action: Cassel to work with MOBILE and COMM Chairs on the issue brought forth with regard to the overlap of their annual conferences. The goal of the SGB is to promote wider SIG Cooperation and they need to be reminded of this.

2.7 Societies

Soffa reported that she met with Tremaine, Whitton, Ellis and Baglio regarding societies. As a result of the restructuring of the SIGs and the changes made to the organization with regard to Council and publications, the committee currently does not believe that instituting societies would contribute to fostering the development of the community. Instead, it will add another layer to the hierarchy and has the potential to develop a class structure causing SIGs to feel disenfranchised.

2.8 SGB EC Voting Procedures

Chesnais indicated that he'd prefer not to have SGB EC matters decided via e-mail votes unless the response is needed immediately. People need to make sure that paper procedure is followed. In the future if there is to be an e-mil vote he would like the motion sent to Baglio for processing and tracking to the committee.

The SGB EC was reminded that some SGB EC members are no longer members of the SGB. That means that they can no longer motion, second or vote on issues during the SGB meetings. As a result with the approval of the SGB member, any motions or seconds made by a non-SGB member during the 10/2/99 meeting will be changed.

Action: Baglio to preface minutes of 10/02/99 meeting with a note indicating that Soffa's participation to second motions was changed to Notkin.

2.9 Future Meetings

Baglio and Chesnais will work on finding a location for the next set of meetings. The SGB EC would like them to devise a more comfortable room layout for SGB meetings.

The SGB EC suggested that an SGB meeting be held during ACM1.

Action: Baglio and Chesnais to devise a more comfortable room layout of SGB meeting.

Action: Baglio and Chesnais to work out details of schedule for February meeting and January conference call.

Action: Baglio to schedule the SGB meeting at ACM1.

Motion: To adjourn meeting
(Soffa, Notkin)




  • Donna Baglio
  • Boots Cassel
  • Alain Chesnais
  • Carla Ellis
  • Doris Lidtke
  • David Notkin
  • Mary Lou Soffa


  • Mark Scott Johnson, SGB Council Rep
  • Maritza Nichols, ACM AA
  • Patricia Ryan, ACM COO
  • Mary Whitton, SGB Council Rep
  • David Arnold , SGB Membership Liaison