SIG Governing Board Friday, October 7, 2016

1.0 Welcome, Introductions

Jeanna Matthews welcomed the group and introduced ACM leadership and staff. She indicated that she was excited to take over role of SGB EC Chair and explained that the plan was to focus on a few experiments by requesting responses to agenda items before, during and after the meeting. There are lots of ways to tell us what you want to say. We will be utilizing Google Docs to gather information on global programs, best practices and challenges to allow for a mixed format for discussion. In addition, we’ll be taking time to provide a summary of actions from the last meeting to keep you updated on the outcome of SGB activities. She turned the meeting over to Patrick Madden.

Madden asked all attendees to introduce themselves. He then introduced Vicki Hanson, ACM President. Hanson indicated this was her 1st SGB meeting as President. She came up through the SIGs and started

out with OOPSLA conferences as part of SIGPLAN and spent many years with SIGACCESS and more recently has done work with SIGCHI.

2.0 Welcome, ACM President

Hanson spoke about 2 new ACM initiatives: Turing 50th Celebration happening throughout year and ACM Young Academy they are hoping to start this year.

2.1 Turing Celebration

With regard to the Turing 50th, it’s been 50 years since the Turing Award started with the first given out in 1966. We’re going to celebrate in 2 ways; doing something called panels and print and an event in

June. Panels and Print is getting our Turing Laureates, some ACM award winners and experts in the field to talk about hot topics, collate answers and release answers to various business and tech outsourcers. First topic is AI, starting to work on Cybersecurity which will be in print and some reporters are saying they’d also like to do interviews. This will be happening over the coming months. Hanson then introduced a 5 minute Turing 50th video which gave a good sense of what is trying to be accomplished in June. Trying to get a mix to show visionary ideas of Laureates and how they translate into present day computing. Current plan is no fee but you do have to get to San Francisco if you want to attend. Program committee is working on program. She asked the group to get information back to SIGs and asked them to show video via a link on websites and at conferences. This is a member benefit, way to give back to community and let them know great work of ACM. Will be held on June 23rd and perhaps a half day on the 24th. ACM members will be given preference to attend. She also asked for SIG contributions of $25K for 10 students. This will defray costs and pay a stipend for students to attend. ACM will send e-mail regarding information about signing up students and will have link to video. If your SIG is willing to contribute, 10 students you select may participate.

2.2 Young Academy

The other item is something called Young Academy. We are concerned about the younger generation in terms of not joining ACM and not finding a need for professional societies. They live on line, create their own content and don’t look to societies to provide that for them. Hanson spoke with Mathias Kaiserswerth and Aaron Quigley who’d expressed interest in the topic and volunteering. Matthias and

Aaron got together and came up with the idea of a Young Academy like various organizations in Europe. Members of the Young Academy would be up and coming young professionals both researchers and practitioners. Members will engage in activity and benefit early career professionals; it is an experience not a badge. They will be expected to do some work, attend regular meetings and produce output. We will be using younger members to shape the new ACM experience that is more relevant to younger generation and create a reason to join ACM. Members of Young Academy will be self-governing with a diverse membership (gender, geography). We expect it to be geographically diverse as to where computing is going in future not where it is now. Membership is for 3 years with option to renew but people will be dropped if not active. Applicants are expected to be in 20 or 30s with the goal of tapping into the thinking of millennials. The deadline for this is being driven by the banquet in June because we want Young Academy members to have their 1st meeting at the ACM Turing 50th event to hear talks and

get inspired and attend banquet. Application deadline is likely the end of January. This is idea will be presented at EC and Council in a month for official approval. Long list of success measures like evidence of outputs influencing field and profession of computing and number of academy members would move into other positions of ACM leadership. Hanson sought feedback from SGB and ideas of how to advertise beyond ACM circles. The size may be about 300 in total but not sure if that’s the right number. Will be starting out small, likely 50. The SGB suggested coordination with chapters. There was concern about the name; not sure millennials want to be called “young”. The goal is that the members will teach us a new way of thinking that will be relevant for that generation.

3.0 Report from ACM CEO

3.1 State of ACM

3.2 Global Strategy Plan

Schnabel provided the SGB with a membership report indicating that ACM membership is steady outside of the changes resulting from the way China approached membership. The CCF was making all their members automatic members of ACM and 1 ½ years ago they decided to take a different approach.

We’re now building the Chinese membership back up.

Briefly spoke about financials indicating that ACM splits into 2 parts, SIGs and the rest of ACM (membership, pubs, etc). Important to note that if SIGs have a surplus it goes into SIG fund balances which are kept separately from fund balance of rest of ACM. ACM is very healthy financially with the SIGs being particularly healthy. If you look at 2016, the SIG’s surplus comes from conferences as other activities aren’t revenue generating. SIGs run things quite conservatively and Schnabel reminded the group that if they have compelling things they’d like to do, they have the funds to do them. Non- profits generally think that that if they have a year’s worth of operating revenue as a surplus that they’re doing really well and we exceed that by at least 50% so this is a very healthy organization. SGB asked if we’re bad at budgeting. He’s observed that most are conservative financially and approach cautiously.

He began discussing ACM globally. We have a huge world and we can’t put equal efforts everywhere so what should we focus on? In last 10 years ACM established activities in Europe, China and India. In current membership we have 50% North America, about 25% in Asia and about 16% from Europe, the rest is small. Participation from authors from North America is under 40% from North America and 35% from Europe. What is it we do that is global and what is particular to a region? Most of what we do in research is global. A lot of curriculum at university level is pervasive. Some issues in diversity. Policy and funding issues are national as are pre-university level curricula. We’re looking at making our messaging more global so that people know the “A” doesn’t stand for American. Here are the key recommendations so far: where should we concentrate geographically? There is plenty of opportunity in North America, Europe, South Asia and East Asia before we put energy into other areas. Need to work with participants in those regions. We have many conferences around the world but do we engage people from those host countries in the program? This is worth looking at. Another question is: are there places we need to be multi-lingual? There are a number of places in the world having national computing societies. We don’t have a uniform way of interacting with them and we should.

Lots of ways to provide input: Google Doc, speak here. What is working?

4.0 Round Table – Global Programs

Rajiv Thakur (SIGHPC)- Chapter called HPC and Resource Constraint Environments based in Africa. They have BOF at SC next month. SIGHPC provides Intel SIGHPC Computational and Data Fellowships for women and people worldwide.

Sarita Adve (SIGARCH) – started chapter in S. Korea at same time ISCA was in Seoul and it was amazing to see the participation of the chapter in the conference. The EC will encourage more chapters and institutional organizational involvement of community in these places. They hold their flagship every 3rd year outside N. America so, there is robust participation all over world.

Srinivas Keshav (SIGCOMM) – annual conference has been rotating around the world since 1991. This year it was held in Brazil. They have a substantial international base and collaborate with regional conferences by providing funding for keynote speakers to fly to conferences, best student paper award winners to travel to SIGCOMM and TPC members to fly to TPC meetings. The current EC has only 1 person from US so it is the US that is underrepresented.

Simon Harper (SGB EC) – Suggest leaving Africa or developing countries to the end means we’ll be having same conversation in 15 years. There is an opportunity to grow from grass roots in developing countries and they’ll remember that when development infrastructure is complete. Put more resources into Africa immediately. Reminded SGB that millennials are culturally different and that needs to be taken into account when developing programs. Having some kind of geographic council is good but they should join together culturally similar areas rather than geographic. ACM should put funding into councils so SIG s can apply for it to place a conference in other parts of the world like Africa. There needs to be outreach to communities so as not exclude them and get people onto SIG governing board.

Insup Lee (SIGBED) – annual conference is regularly held in US, Europe and Asia but noticed that many local participants are unaware of or are members of SIGBED. They are considering participating in funding programs to bring greater awareness. SIGBED is offering travel support grants to support attendee participation from all over the world.

SIGLOG – flagship conference is going on a long time. It rotates between North America and Europe in Europe more often and this going to Iceland

Mike Hicks – Emphasizes outreach to Asia, Several conferences there in the last year. There is increased interest in continuing to do that in Asia. We could do better in grassroots movements. The PC is travel grants used for any SIGPLAN sponsored events. Having PL mentoring workshops to encourage programing language as an area of study. Pay for students to come. Draw students from all over the world. Now have a steering committee for them.

SIGKDD – Reach out to global community through big chapters – Australia, New Zealand , China and India. China activity is extremely well run, conferences with 800-900 people and educational activities

doing well. Australia and India also have regional conferences. KDD conferences organized to get people excited, full house discussing local area activities and global activities. Give a lot of grants to individual chapters. Giving students from all over world grants to attend conference.

SIGSPATIAL – main flagship conference has participation from Europe but not Australia and China. Working closely with chapters.

SIGBIO – Chapter in China, migrating flagship outside US. High quality conference held in Europe and they have interest in trying to come to US. Working with them to co-locate with SIGBIO flagship conference. Offer discount to them.

SIGSOFT - 2 active chapters in India and China. Regular programs for funding speakers and award winning papers to go to India china and South America. Since hosting the annual conference in SA over last 3 years funded 3 well know researchers to go to as and give talks and advise local students. Travel grants to fully fund

SIGDA – Summer school in Asia for past few years, co-located with conferences there to bring invited speakers from flagship conferences to that region. Nice way to attract young people. SIGDA sits between CS and Electrical Computer engineering. Worked closely with CCF and China institute of electronics to make them aware of unique position of organization to build local chapters. Event organized under DAC called Newton Young fellowship to support junior and senior students to come to flagship conferences. Quite a few applicants from China, Africa and middle east.

SIGCSE - concerned with geographical diversity selection of candidate for EC done carefully always have member outside US. Conferences are international ITISE never in US and never will ICER rotates. Built in to SIGCSE in terms of geographical diversity.

SIGOPS traditional connection between US and European side slow with Asia finally chapter in China workshop 2x per year and became chapter of SIGOPS. Excited with what they’re seeing there. Flagship

SOSP to be held in China. As China SYS becomes stronger colocated china sys and sosp to get more faculty to come to main conference and interact with local companies as well.

SIGIR – Friends of SIGIR allows other programs in other countries to apply for funding like summer schools.

SIGCHI - SIGCHI EC realized doing will in Europe but not Asia – Asian focus led to 2015 conference in S. Korea and a number of specialized conferences in Asian countries. Cannot pay attention to the entire world so doubling down on Asia to make concerted effort to get a better mechanism to what is working in Asia. Created Asia development committee 5 members form India, Korea, japan and se Asia china to come up with best practices and report back to EC. This is not 1 group of people it is a lot of people getting representatives from different countries have worked well.

Jeff Jortner (SIGGRAPH) – 25 chapters all over world, instrumental in some conferences Vancouver, Hong Kong, Columbia. Beyond that is having an int’l resource committee – English services for reviewing papers to help people with language issues. Int’l booth area that has translation services, int’l committee take information and puts out in different languages. Fair number of agreements with a large number of conferences or organizations in Europe and Asia like Europgraphics. Attend each other’s EC meetings. Membership exchange, media exchange, in-coop conferences. New group in Asia doing sesame that SIGGRAPH Asia is working with. Hearing a lot of people doing things have experience in many places in Asia can talk of trials and tribulations would be useful to collect that information so you don’t have to start from scratch.

Matthews urged the leadership to send different ideas via e-mail or place in the google doc.

5.0 Update on Actions from last SGB Meeting

Cappo provided and update on actions from working groups at last SGB meeting.

Facilitating cooperation between SIGs:

Pulled topics that overlapped: conference collaboration, summer school mentoring workshops and a push for sharing of general practices.

Action – SGB understands that they need to champion and push. There will be a session at end of meeting on collaboration and we’ve put up a Google doc for additional input.

Showcase conferences: much of discussion focused on capture and what to capture. In addition there was a request for more promotion from ACM. Task force being put together on streaming and capture. Neno was named chair and asked for volunteers to join the task force. To promote conferences SIG Services dept. contributes to content calendar and program coordinators talk to conference leaders all the time and enter items of note in the content calendar. Suggested that Chairs got e-mail message exactly how to make use of that.

How should we proactively deal with emerging area:

ACM and SIGs must be go to location for starting and keeping SIGs. Task force will be put together to determine EIG process.

6.0 Discussion Group

Emerging Areas within your SIG – what are they, what are you doing, what would you like to be doing?

Group 1


  • Biology Life Science
  • Big Data & Life Sciences
  • 2nd year running Workshop on Big Data in Life Sciences - 30 pp at BCB


  • VR
  • There is a VR Area at the SIGGRAPH Conference 2017 25th Anniversary of CAVE
  • 3D Printing
  • New Computational Fabrication Conference
  • Computational Photography
  • Part of SIGGRAPH TECH Program & DIGIPRO Small Conf at SIGGRAPH Conference


  • Medical communication
  • Content Mgt. Sys
  • Social Justice with Usability Refining Research Process
  • Attention to User/How audience interacts
  • Social Media
  • Themes/sessions for annual conference


  • Games and HCI
  • CHI PLAY: The ACM SIGCHI Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play Automotive User Interfaces
  • New Conference: Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications Build Relationship w/annual
  • Medical Informatics
  • CHI & AMIA – WISH- “Workshop Interactive Sys in Healthcare” – bringing interested researchers together


  • Economics & Computation Theory, AI, Microeconomists
  • Interest in Intersection of Data Sci – (100 ppl) workshop


  • Cloud Computing
  • SOCC: ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing is a co-sponsored conference with SIGOPS Data Science Machine Learning
  • WSDM: Web Search and Data Mining
  • CIKM: Conference on Information and Knowledge Management Cloud Sourcing
  • Security
  • New Hardware
  • Workshops will spinoff from conferences or remain in conference umbrella


  • Machine Learning
  • Organizing special sessions at annual conference
  • Health Informatics
  • Spatial Temporal Transportation
  • WSDM: Web Search and Data Mining
  • CIKM: Conference on Information and Knowledge Management


  • Conf grew from workshop held at CIKM


  • Deep Learning Networks
  • Understanding IR Problems Using FMR - neuropsychologist Reproducibility
  • Ethics
  • Workshop on Datamining & BIG DATA
  • “new” CHIIR Conf. on Human Information Interaction& Retrieval Possibly co-sponsored with SIGCHI
  • “new” ICRIR –Conf on Intl Conf on Theory of IR (started in Europe) Interested in developing other workshops


  • 3D Printing to Share Assistive Tech Crowd Sourcing
  • Data Mining Machine Learning Robots
  • IOT
  • Mobile Devices
  • Tech & Access & Workplace
  • Themes/sessions for annual conference Connect w/other SIGs & bring together

Group 2

  • Experimental Reproducibility (Sigsoft /Sigops/Sigplan) /Sustainable Software Perforation of Information fact/fiction
  • Attack research: challenge – research/public info Ethics in AI & computing
  • Algorithmic Accountability
  • Convergence Technology
  • Eg Smart Buildings/cities/transp. (big NSF recent announcement) Ethics – Genomics
  • Future of Workshops/Automation
  • Computing Curricula – Ethics Societal and Issues Process
  • How to reach/engage right people
  • Outside ACM / eg ethicists (uneven ability to pay)

Group 3:


  • Computational Scientists
  • Pull in Computational Scientist through Conference Attendees


  • E.C. Machine Learning VR Workshops in Emerging Areas Focus on Outside Community
  • Follow Up: White Paper, Report of Some Kind once per year


  • Connected Health
  • Machine Learning
  • Quantum Bio
  • IOT Outreach
  • E.C. TOTDI Conf (IEEE)
  • Bring in SIGMOBILE
  • Personal Connections to make it happen


  • Educational Aspects – feed into University Courses Degree w/Security, Cyber Security Education Researchers Span many areas
  • Write a paper, then decide which conf. it might fit with


  • Wearable
  • Healthcare
  • Med devices
  • SIGSTRUCURE is broken Narrow Silos
  • Formalize process to bring SIGs together rather than have fragmentation More Industry Engagement
  • SIG Stack Exchange
  • Entrepreneurship

Group 4:

  • K – 12
  • Learning Sciences
  • IOT
  • Ethics in AI & Computing
  • Learning at Scale
  • Algorithmic Accountability
  • AI / Machine Learning
  • Data Sciences
  • New Technology in Professional Education
  • Computing Curriculum
  • Convergence Technology (Smart Buildings, Cities, Transportation)
  • Coding Boot Camp
  • Repository for Broader Work
  • Look to partner outside
  • IP policy
  • Coop in MOOC – SPOC
  • Interconnect SIGs
  • Spreading word
  • Validating clod cross cut systems
  • Assure diversity
  • Break Mold

Group 1

Biggest thing that came out is where we see emerging things. They are in workshops and coming out of conferences. Much is interesting because emerging areas are a mix of technologies between SIGS so we’re seeing overlaps – big data, transportation, deep learning. Ethics was brought out in several areas. Medical was another big area of interest. There is a great deal of interaction between SIGS and a lot of cooperation happening.

Group 2

Conversation about technical overarching areas: smart buildings, cities. A lot of conversation was about ethics – a lot of perspectives; ethics in AI and algorithmic accountability issues, genomics and biomedical science. A real feeling there needs to be efforts that came out of ACM that converge the conversations. Another area brought out was the importance of the accuracy of information. There was a clear interest from group on ACM being engaged in that topic beyond the reproducibility work being done. From computing curriculum side; how are we looking at where the computing curriculum gets into the more societal and ethical area of computing. As far as process help, in many of these topics we need to reach beyond computing community to social science and other areas and it would be useful if ACM could help.

Group 3

Discussion focused on a lot of similarities from other groups. One SIG is pulling people from outside their SIG; computational scientists. We discussed visioning workshops – where and who do we want. Machine learning, VR, IOTare topics of interest. There was some discussion on impact into university environments and security. General observation was that the SIG structure is silo like but people that work in the areas are all over the place and individual researchers don’t fit into any one bucket. It makes sense to have SIGS but people are wider than that. You may be a member of a SIG but work outside that scope. ACM is the right place to find and bring together people for an emerging area. We need to formalize the process. EIG taskforce needs to formalize EIG process and make SIGs aware of new conferences. We don’t want 100 machine

learning conferences. There needs to be more industry engagement and the group wondered if there was a role for entrepreneurship for ACM?

Group 4

Started discussion on education and overlaps. The group discussed the public view of k-12education and the kinds of things happening in this area across the world. Started out with SIGITE and CSE but there are so many players in the space. There is a need to do more in the space of algorithmic fairness. Talked about CS in university computing centers and about support needed across curricula. Kept going back to ethics – across all SIGs. The group discussed breaking silos and changes in IP policy. Discussed learning at scale and how much people are aware of it and the importance of interconnecting SIGs, cloud computing and verification. All were interested in ethics and COPE.

7.0 SIG Contributions to CACM Research Highlights

Morrisett explained to the leaders that 8 years ago Moshe Vardi and others reworked CACM. That change resulted in a new column called Research Highlights where goals are to call attention to existing developments across all areas of computer science with relatively recent papers drawn from best conferences or journals. The intent is to make these papers accessible to a broad CS research audience with the help of a 1-page technical perspective written by some senior person in the field. The idea is not meant to prevent publication elsewhere but to highlight work that has been done. A survey this past summer indicated that a number of readers are happy with RH column and read it. In fact, it’s second only to the news section in reader popularity. It is a chance to highlight exciting interesting work going on in our respective fields. How are papers selected? Right now there is a distinguished editorial board who nominate papers. The board discusses electronically and via conference call. They determine what papers to accept and who is to write technical perspective. In the beginning, this worked well but has been spotty in terms of coverage and the pipeline is distressingly small. Currently highlighting 2 papers a month but there should be more each month. To secure more papers, they need to interface with the SIGs to attract papers in systematic way. SIGPLAN has a committee that meets and nominates papers from the PL conferences and sends to board and board rules. SIGMICRO, SIGGRAPH and MOD all have this relationship with board. He encouraged SIG leaders to do something similar. Suggested they follow SIGPLAN’s or SIGGRPAH’s process. Advisory committee gets together and discusses major papers at conference and forwards. Other SIG s forward papers winning best awards and that’s a great way. SIGPLAN has a formal process for those interested in that. SIGPLAN committee nominates to board and has become so prestigious that CVs say paper was nominated even if not accepted for RH. They accept about 50% of SIGPLANs papers and consider accessibility to broader audience. SIGGRAPH gives them a much more nuanced set of papers and many are accepted. Smaller more focused conferences and workshops don’t fare as well although they want to represent all the areas in the field. Asked leaders to consider how they could get papers to them. Great way to promote what’s exciting and what’s interesting. An SGB member mentioned that they never got feedback. Morrisett indicated they needed to do a better job in providing feedback. They will try to communicate that more clearly. All they are looking for is a paragraph on why paper should be accepted and some suggested names of senior people in field with right perspective that could set context for paper.

8.0 Publications Update

Davidson provided highlights of things going on in the publications board. He reviewed the board membership and indicated they added two new members from the practitioner community to understand that space. Board operates through standing committees chaired by members of the pubs board. Assessment and Search – assessing health of journals and reappointing EICs and determining if things need to be done to improve health of journals. There are 33 journals and transactions with a term of 3 years for editors. The conference committee looks at conference publication and what’s going on there. Working with the SIGs and conferences they’ve created a new series called PACM. There is an ethics and plagiarism committee that deals with ethics and plagiarism complaints. Big job, lots of issues that are dealt with individually and carefully because these are serious charges. DL committee looks at strategy for developing DL. The technology committee is also involved in development of DL but looks at technology available to achieve those strategies. They have a new pubs committee charged with developing new publications. Trying to be more proactive to identify where we need new publications and seeking out people to develop proposals. Practitioner committee looking at content targeted toward practitioners. Seeking people from outside pubs board for a great way to get involved in publications. He encouraged the leadership to get involved.

Proceedings of the ACM (PACM) is a new title being created. The Pubs Board is rolling out first 3 pubs in the series. Taking some of the best conferences and making them visible as journals because many organizations and governments only consider journals when evaluating impact factors. Many conferences have review processes that are comparable or exceed journal processes and we wanted to recognize that. Davidson reviewed criteria, review process and government structure. He outlined the varied approaches being used. He mentioned they’re soliciting proposals for 2018. Still working through operational issues but principles and selection criteria are established and actively looking to add more titles.

Ioannidis talked about reproducibility. There have been many discussions and last June after much debate and study ACM came up with branding in that space that every paper could get. The policy, terminology, badging details and review procedures can be found on the ACM website. Harper indicated that there are 2 task forces looking at this. One from a pubs perspective and the SGB looking at how artifacts are associated with pubs, what kind are to be evaluated how do we make process easier for highly technical papers or just a data sources. That report is 10-12 pages and will likely be presented at this meeting in 6 months.

Ioannidis explained that as a result of recent incidents, the publications board’s plagiarism committee instituted clear policy as to who is to be listed as an author: 1. Substantial contribution to some part of work 2. Participated in drafting or revising paper 3. Aware that paper has been submitted for publication 4. You agree to be held accountable for any issues on correctness and integrity of work. If you satisfy these 4 you can be an author. Related, there is a lot of ghost writing going on and they’re pretty good. There is a pyramid of ghost writers and there is a business going on especially in the developing world mostly for college assignment and thesis but research papers have been appearing. We should all be aware of it.

Lastly, there is a new production platform for papers with new templates that ACM is coming up with. Ubiquity is an on-line magazine run by Peter Denning and it has really neat stuff about what the future will look like. Trying to be an on-line portal and advertising to your membership would

be important and attracts people. Please keep that in mind. There is a study going regarding the future of DL services. External study - what should DL service be to create revenue and attract visitors. Also working on indexing videos in the DL. Last but not least, we need members to help with the various activities of pubs board. Huge endeavor trying to be pioneers for new generation of scholarly education and we need people for roles of board and committees.

9.0 SGB EC Report

9.1 Report on EIG Task Force

Cappo indicated that there was a 1st call of the committee on Sept 25th and they are in the process of scheduling a 2nd call. During the 1st call they discussed their charge. Following the 2nd call there will be a report to the SGB EC and then the SGB.

9.2 History Committee Announcement

Owens indicated that history committee of ACM would like each SIG to consider seriously having a historian. Some SIGs do, some don’t. It’s important to capture the history of each SIG. She asked that they seriously consider getting interviews or self-reports of your award winners as part of capturing the history of your SIG. It would be great if you could get some acknowledgement from award winners with an interview.

Tracz indicated that SIGSOFT has a historian who has documented leaders, chairs and program chairs for conferences. They are recording dissertations and lineage of advisors and students for captured for software engineering. Owens suggested looking at ACM history committee page. With regard to awards, Hanson said we don’t have good diversity or global representation for award winners. She suggested it would be great if SIGs could think about members that should be nominated for ACM Awards.

9.3 Replication Task Force

Harper said SGB created replication task force with 7 or 8 people to suggest process by which badges are awarded and discuss what we mean by artifacts. They are expected to bring together all the processes that SIG conferences have to those that don’t have them yet. A document has been put together and will be made available to you for your review. With your input we’ll have something that looks acceptable to all SIGs.

10.0 Discussion Group

Collaboration Project – groups will be asked to discuss and present a potential program or conference to collaborate on

Group 1:

  • Develop Reviewer Pool for all SIGs
  • Potential conference: VR, Autonomous Vehicles
  • Audience: Practitioners/Researchers
  • Integrated event
  • Deep Papers w/other components
  • Panels, open problem session
  • Smaller groups that fit well together
  • Driven by application or use case grand challenge
  • Tracks at existing conferences
  • Quality control
  • Share panel at multiple conference

Group 2:

  • Building Secure X –
  • SIGOPS, SIGCOMM, SIGPLAM, SIGSOFT, SIGLOG, AND MANY MORE Meta: how to develop synergy?
  • Output: get new members
  • Output : new ideas, results, collaborations But: how to incentivized participation? Collaborate with researchers and practitioners? Other topics:
  • System Scalability ACM Dagstuhl? Shonan
  • broad disciplines might be more attractive Invitation only: help get good people
  • Challenge problems: to organize thinking Weeklong hackathon on hand problem
  • Challenges must be scoped (pre-eventwork?) Good for millennials?
  • Prizes? Shared Doc
  • proposal, others respond Members contribute ideas? Best way to get them?

Group 3:

  • Keynote referral service
  • Co-locate matchmaking
  • PC finder service
  • Video Presentation
  • Duplicate/Intersection Sessions
  • Best of Conf X presents again and Conf Y
  • Poster Sessions Cross Pollination

Group 4:

  • Education – focused SIGs
  • Graph, CHI, ITE, UCCS, etc. & Outside ACM orgs (Learning Sciences Organization) (Ed. Research Groups)
  • Ethics – how to do outreach?
  • CAS: workshops for practitioners (attend other SIG Conferences) Symposium on Ethics attended by Multiple SIGs
  • One Day conference events for practitioners. Inspirations: Salesforce 170K attendees a. Focused theme eg. Ethics
  • Challenge: Convince practitioners/supervisors of relevance Regional approach? Remove travel as a potential barrier
  • Present Ethics and Project Managers Inst. Meetings Co-sponsoring conferences
  • Multi SIGs, especially for new fields
  • Theme proposed by ACM that could be a track for SIGs. eg: “Year of Ethics”/ Collect papers from SIGs & publish special issue of CACM
  • Cooperative Webinars of a particular topic
  • How to get SIG leaders “together” more to work in projects, or learn how to be a SIG leader

Group 1

Discussed having a reviewer pool for all SIGs which would be very helpful to our conferences. We talked about having a VR/Autonomous Vehicle conference appealing to practitioners and researchers; a topic that would cross several SIGs. We discussed co- locating smaller conferences that fit well together which could impact attendance and reach. SIGs could ask conferences to share tracks and panels.

Group 2

We discussed development of a conference with multiple sponsors. The goal would be to secure new members and collaborate on new ideas. How do we encourage collaboration? A broad discipline could be more attractive to attendees. We could consider an event by invitation only to help get the appropriate attendees. Perhaps offer challenge problems, weeklong hackathon to appeal to millennials. We could put together a document to share with members to suggest ideas for collaborations and fund people to have a collaborative event.

Group 3

ACM could offer a keynote referral service. Need a speaker in another area? It would be the place to find the right person in the SIG structure to get a big keynoter to come to an event. We each have leverage in different areas. ACM could offer match making for colocations.

Also, PC members/reviewers for people outside the field; tag someone in DL an ACM author willing to provide review services allowing for a quick search to find people you might need outside your area. Duplicate presentations from conference x presented at conference y.

Same sort of thing for poster sessions where students might be willing to go to other conference sessions. Capture of presentations might be a good way of exposing what’s happening at conferences.

Group 4

Talked about education focused SIGs that collaborate in different ways like a common conference or working with other organizations. Ethics became a common theme. Talk of workshops for practitioners, 1 day conference event. There was concern that travel could be an issue so regional events might be the answer. Also suggested co-sponsoringconferences which we know is already happening. Suggest that ACM propose a theme for a year and each SIG recommends a potential track for respective conferences. Would be interesting to see what all those papers look like at the end of a year, possibly an issue for CACM. There was a suggestion of webinars being put on by multiple SIGs to bring others into fold. Lastly spoke of talk to get SIG leaders together to collaborate, an on-boardingexercise similar to orientation that happens every few years.

11.0 Other Business

Matthews announced that the next SGB meeting would be held in Chicago on Thursday, April 6th. Following that, the meeting was adjourned.